Feb 27, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
When you go to a race as a fan, the last thing you should expect or fear is accident debris entering the grandstands.
That’s why some of those injured in last Saturday’s accident in the NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Daytona International Speedway could be exploring legal action.
An Orlando-based lawyer for fans injured, Matt Morgan, told the AP he hopes to reach a settlement with NASCAR to avoid any lawsuits.
A NASCAR spokesman said he was not aware of any lawsuits, while a Daytona spokesman said they would not comment on pending litigation.
There are several aspects of what led to this accident. The Nationwide cars have lesser horsepower than the Sprint Cup Series, and while the Sprint Cup’s new Generation 6 car ran primarily in single file formation throughout the Daytona 500, the Nationwide cars ran more in a huge pack. That meant a greater likelihood of a “big one” accident.
Additionally, the accident itself was triggered by contact between leader Regan Smith and Brad Keselowski behind him. When Keselowski pulled out to pass as the field headed into the tri-oval, Smith moved to defend but came too far over on top of him. That triggered the chaos and the speed of cars behind them helped send Kyle Larson’s car airborne and into the catch fencing.
Keselowski was also involved in NASCAR’s last two car-into-fence moments, each with Carl Edwards. Going for the win at Talladega in April 2009, Keselowski and Edwards collided with Edwards’ car spiraling airborne and careening off the fencing, in front of the grandstands. Edwards retaliated on Keselowski in a Sprint Cup race at Atlanta in 2010.
The litigation may pass, but the discussion about both the catch fencing and the style of racing that has caused these accidents has only just begun. For more, see “IndyCar champions seek fence changes.”
Feb 26, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Brazilian driver still believes that Mercedes has the best car in F1 this year.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Briton still manages to finish third on Thursday, but is limited to just 48 laps following the power unit issue.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:45 PM EST
F1 rookie happy with the final raft of updates on the STR10 ahead of the first race of the year in Australia.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Spanish racer will get a chance to test the E23 Hybrid out on track at least once in 2015.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Ferrari reserve driver speaks after completing his first running in the new SF15-T at a filming day in Barcelona.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Ex-Red Bull driver believes that Vettel will be rejuvenated following his move to Ferrari for 2015.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:15 AM EST
The VJM08 will finally make its on-track debut with three days to go in winter testing.
Ron Dennis clears up Alonso crash rumors; confirms he was briefly knocked unconscious but was not concussed
Feb 26, 2015, 7:27 AM EST
McLaren CEO meets with the media to quash incorrect reports surrounding Alonso’s accident in testing.
Feb 25, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
Justin Wilson’s offseason plight isn’t only budget-related, but due to a reduced number of available opportunities in IndyCar.
Feb 25, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
Brad Hollinger’s investment in Williams’ ownership moves from 5 to 10 percent.
Feb 25, 2015, 2:21 PM EST
Lineups and running order ahead of this week’s Barcelona test.
Feb 25, 2015, 11:27 AM EST
What Force India couldn’t gain in car evaluation it could gain in 2015 tire and different driver evaluation last week in Barcelona.
Feb 25, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
The Melbourne season opener is a little more than two weeks away.
Feb 25, 2015, 8:52 AM EST
Fernando Alonso is out of the hospital after his testing crash last week.
Feb 25, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
Nick Tandy will embark on a program of LMP1, LMP2 and GT Le Mans in 2015, with KCMG confirmation in WEC.
Feb 25, 2015, 8:22 AM EST
Force India confirms Friday car debut for the new VJM08.
Feb 25, 2015, 8:10 AM EST
Manor seeks to make Melbourne race appearance and confirms its first driver.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 4
- Ron Dennis clears up Alonso crash rumors; confirms he was briefly knocked unconscious but was not concussed 3
- McLaren confirms Alonso leaves hospital, and is out for final test 0
- Manor targets Melbourne appearance; announces Will Stevens as first driver 2
- Iconic F1 designer Gerard Ducarouge dies at 73 1
- F1: Barcelona 2015 first test cumulative times, lap counts, analysis 0