UPDATE: NASCAR’s Clements responds to suspension

Feb 27, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT

Jeremy Clements Getty Images

NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Jeremy Clements has issued a statement of apology through his team’s Facebook page following the sanctioning body’s decision to suspend him indefinitely.

“I apologize and regret what I said to the NASCAR writer and to NASCAR, my sponsors, my fans, and my team,” he said in his statement. “NASCAR has a Code of Conduct that everyone must follow, and I unintentionally violated that code. I will not get into specifics of what I said but my comment to the writer was in no way meant to be disrespectful or insensitive to anyone or to be detrimental to NASCAR or the NASCAR Nationwide Series. I will do what I need to do in order to atone for my error in judgment.”

In NASCAR’s own statement on the matter, senior vice president of racing operations Steve O’Donnell said that Clements made “an intolerable and sensitive remark” during an interview. Officially, Clements violated Sections 7-5 (the aforementioned Code of Conduct) and 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing).

“NASCAR has a Code of Conduct that’s explicitly spelled out in the 2013 NASCAR Rule Book,” O’Donnell continued. “We fully expect our entire industry to adhere to that Code.”

Neither statement mentioned what exactly Clements said that earned him the suspension, but David Newton of ESPN.com is reporting that, according to a source, Clements used a racial slur in an interview at Daytona International Speedway last Saturday — the same day as the Nationwide Series’ season opener. He finished 33rd in the race.

1. wgray981 - Feb 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Getting suspended just for speaking out against one race? Yeah…that’s why I no longer watch NASCAR (that and the fact that Hendricks bribes the officials)

2. cccpatrol - Feb 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Wow, suspension for telling the truth, it was an extremely boring race.

3. imaduffer - Feb 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Code of Conduct? Did he forget to mention ” what’s her name”?

4. aikmanfan83 - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM

ESPN is reporting it was a racial slur that came during an interview on Feb. 23rd, the day before the Daytona 500

5. mgavin78 - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:41 AM

N bomb??

6. winged warrior - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:09 AM

“yep, that’s a code”

7. shorttracknews - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM

From people I know inside the sport, he bashed NASCAR saying he wouldn’t be surprised if officials looked the other way when Danica came through tech with “different” part that would help her get the pole for the Daytona 500 and start the media frenzy that NASCAR loves so much to help boost ratings.

Video from NASCAR America