Feb 28, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
History will be made on Friday when the NASCAR Mexico Toyota Series stages its first-ever event on American soil at Phoenix International Raceway.
The Toyota 120, announced last October, will kick off the series’ 15-race schedule for 2013 and is part of PIR’s undercard for Sunday’s Sprint Cup main event. It’ll feature a segmented format, with a 50-lap first segment, a break, and then a 25-lap final segment.
Practice for the race begins on Thursday for the Mexican league, which started in 2004. NASCAR took over sanctioning of the series in 2007, and it now serves as one of three NASCAR-sanctioned international series (the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series and the Europe-based Euro-Racecar NASCAR Touring Series being the others).
Last season, Jorge Goeters (above), best-known Stateside as the pole sitter for the inaugural NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Mexico City back in 2005, claimed the Toyota Series title. He and a full field of drivers are expected to compete on Friday.
Considering Phoenix’s sizable Latino population, it’s natural that the one-mile “Desert Jewel” gets the first opportunity to expose NASCAR Mexico to the American public. In addition, with the Toyota 120 being part of the Sprint Cup weekend, a golden opportunity is there for the Mexican racers to perform in front of some of the sport’s most important figures.
NASCAR has made efforts to diversify its fan base as a whole, and to tap into the lucrative Latino market. But with that particular group only making up 10 percent of its fan base, there’s still work to be done.
Perhaps a little more progress can be made, however, with this important race at PIR.
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 4
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 4
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 11
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4