Feb 28, 2013, 8:34 AM EDT
After reports Wednesday a deal was imminent, Force India took Thursday to confirm it has signed Adrian Sutil for its second seat alongside Paul di Resta.
“I’m very happy and I want to thank Sahara Force India for giving me a second chance. Having been away from the sport, I’m even more determined to achieve my goals in Formula One,” Sutil said.
“Things went really well at the Barcelona test last week and it almost feels as though I’ve never been away.”
Sutil re-acclimated to the team and car and like the rest of the field, now has the chance to come to grips with the new-for-2013 compounds of Pirelli tires. He edges Jules Bianchi, Force India’s third driver in 2012, for the final open seat on the grid.
According to team principal Vijay Mallya, experience won out.
“It was a close call, but ultimately we felt that Adrian’s experience and historic links to the team gave him the edge, and will provide us with the best possible chance of realizing our ambitions for the coming season,” he said.
“If he can rediscover the exceptional form he showed in the second half of 2011, I’m confident that we can pick up where we left off at the end of 2012.
“As for Jules Bianchi, he has impressed us enormously with his speed and work ethic, and I’m hopeful we can continue working with him this year to help him develop into a future Grand Prix driver.”
Sutil’s previous 90 Grand Prix starts have all been with Force India, when it was first known as Spyker, from 2007 to 2011. His career race thus far was the 2009 Italian Grand Prix, when he qualified second, finished fourth, and set the fastest race lap.
See also: Sutil nears second Force India seat
- As NHRA closes in on 100 wins by female racers, it all started with one of the greatest, Shirley Muldowney 0
- Brad Keselowski: Changes overdue to Sprint Cup schedule; offers his ideas 4
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 1
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)