Feb 28, 2013, 2:23 PM EDT
On the first day of the final Formula One test in Barcelona, Mark Webber has managed to top the timesheets as Red Bull look to assert their dominance before the season begins.
Difficult weather conditions meant that times only became reliable towards the end of the session, and a red flag also delayed running after Felipe Massa stopped out on track. The rain meant that the teams were able to try out all compounds of Pirelli tire on offer in 2013, but before the track dried out it was Webber who led. Eventually, Massa moved onto the softer rubber, and the Ferrari driver set the first competitive times.
However, following the red flag, it was Webber and Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton fighting for top spot. Both drivers went quickest at points, but a spin from Hamilton meant Webber finished the day 1.6 seconds clear.
The Australian driver expressed his satisfaction to his team following the session.
“We’ve still got more to come, but that was the most we could get done in a short limited programme in dry conditions at the end of the day.”
Behind Hamilton was Jean-Eric Vergne in third place, continuing Toro Rosso’s good testing form, and Valtteri Bottas impressed to end up fourth ahead of Sergio Perez and Esteban Gutierrez respectively.
Paul di Resta, whose teammate was finally confirmed today, finished in seventh, with Felipe Massa eighth, although Ferrari will hope that he could have challenged Webber had it not been for the stoppage.
Marussia’s Max Chilton put the rumors surrounding his teammate to the back of his mind to finish ahead of Charles Pic. It would appear the Anglo-Russian team has the edge over Caterham in 2013. Romain Grosjean propped up the timesheets, twelve seconds off Webber’s time.
Although it is difficult to truly understand testing performance, Red Bull will undoubtedly be pleased with their pace in both the dry and wet in Barcelona today.
1. Mark Webber Red Bull – 1:22.693
2. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes – 1:24.348 +1.655
3. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso – 1:25.017 + 2.324
4. Valtteri Bottas Williams – 1:26.458 + 3.765
5. Sergio Perez McLaren – 1:26.538 +3.845
6. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber – 1:26.574 +3.881
7. Paul di Resta Force India – 1:27.107 +4.414
8. Felipe Massa Ferrari – 1:27.541 +4.848
9. Max Chilton Marussia – 1:28.166 +5.473
10. Charles Pic Caterham – 1:28.644 +5.951
11. Romain Grosjean Lotus – 1:34.928 +12.235
Mar 11, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Sports car racing meets “It’s a Wonderful Life.” With dinosaurs.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:18 PM EDT
NBCSN’s Leigh Diffey and Wally Dallenbach discuss the team’s quiet start to the 2014 Sprint Cup season.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:06 PM EDT
Cooling units are now allowed on pit road and cool-down laps on track are banned.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
All the notes and numbers to keep in mind going into Thunder Valley.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Be sure to have your username and password from your cable/satellite/telco provider handy so your subscription can be verified for access to the Live Extra stream.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
The saga continues as Smoke and Darrell Waltrip head for Texarkana.
Mar 11, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
Tennessee’s Butch Jones and Virginia Tech’s Frank Beamer will take part in pre-race duties for the Food City 500.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
RBR’s team principal also tags Merc’s Lewis Hamilton as the favorite for the world title.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
All TV times for this year’s F1 on NBC Sports schedule.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Eddie Irvine became a Grand Prix winner 15 years ago this month, at Melbourne.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Paul Wolfe notes that Bristol’s tight confines could lead to more issues in qualifying this weekend.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Twice in eight years, Jeff Gordon and Matt Kenseth have been contact magnets at Bristol.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Two strong Tudor teams make driver announcements going into Sebring.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Two of IndyCar’s rising stars welcome the 1995 series and Indianapolis 500 champion back to open wheels.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
How cars handle series-issued BoP changes and Sebring’s punishing layout will likely determine who wins Saturday.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
The team had recently signed Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors late last month.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
IndyCar star looks to go one better after four straight class runner-ups at Sebring.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Outside of IndyCar’s power teams, Justin Wilson and Dale Coyne Racing remain one of the top underdogs.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Year 2 for Graham at RLL should, on paper, be substantially better than Year 1.
Mar 10, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
The F1 supremo is bracing for an unpredictable year in the series.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)