Mar 2, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Lotus team principal Eric Boullier believes that Romain Grosjean can become Formula One world champion in the future.
“I believe Romain can become world champion. That’s why we kept him. Because we believe he’s got the talent. He’s definitely got the speed.”
Grosjean’s one-lap pace was a particular highlight during the 2012 season, but a string of accidents caused many to question his place in the sport. However, Boullier revealed to The Guardian that he believes Grosjean has turned a corner with his driving style.
“The new Romain is a very different to the one three months ago. He’s much more focused. He’s not wasting any energy, any time on the useless things F1 can create.
“He is also one of the few drivers who has won every championship he has entered. Lewis Hamilton achieved it, and so did Nico Hulkenberg. But Vettel has not. Romain has proved he can win races and win championships. So why not the Formula One world championship?”
Grosjean will be looking to build upon his three podium finishes in 2012, and his pace in testing so far has been impressive. He finished quickest on day two in Barcelona, and the Frenchman will hope to contribute to Lotus’ championship charge in 2013. Boullier clearly has confidence in Grosjean, but his prospects for the coming season will not become apparent until the Australian Grand Prix in two weeks time.
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 7
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)
- Mark Miles talks about the road ahead for IndyCar (8)