Mar 2, 2013, 4:42 AM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen will take no part in the final Formula One test in Barcelona today having been taken ill overnight with food poisoning.
The Finnish driver was due to partake in the session as part of Lotus F1 Team’s testing programme, which acts as vital preparation for the season ahead.
Due to Raikkonen’s absence, 2012 GP2 champion and Lotus test driver Davide Valsecchi will jump into the car for the morning session. This will be his first running in an F1 car since the Young Driver Test in Abu Dhabi at the end of last season.
Raikkonen’s teammate, Romain Grosjean, will then take the reins in the afternoon, which will come as a welcome surprise to the Frenchman after he lost track time on Thursday due to the adverse weather conditions.
Having sat out today’s running, Raikkonen will hopefully return to action on Sunday in what will be the final test session before the first Grand Prix of the season in Australia.
Although it is impossible to predict such events, this will give Valsecchi some vital F1 testing, and he will be able to add to the feedback that Raikkonen and Grosjean have already given. Raikkonen will be unhappy to have lost track time in such fashion, but he will now be focusing on recovering for the session tomorrow.
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)