Seemingly ageless Martin still proving himself

Mar 2, 2013, 2:30 PM EST

Mark Martin 2 Getty Images

At 54 years old, Mark Martin continues to persevere – and excel – in the Sprint Cup Series.

Martin isn’t a full-time racer this season on NASCAR’s top circuit, but thanks to a combination of his well-known commitment to fitness and the solid talent behind him at Michael Waltrip Racing, he’s staying quite competitive in this, his 31st season of Cup racing.

“I will say that I don’t know that my training – in my prime, I don’t know that my personal training made me a better race car driver,” Martin said after his Friday pole run for tomorrow’s Subway Fresh Fit 500k at Phoenix International Raceway. “But there’s no doubt in my mind that the longevity of my career is hugely dependent on that commitment.”

With 40 Cup victories on his resume, Martin’s hard work has paid off for him time and again. But he says he still has his occasional misgivings, which makes him grateful to have MWR in his corner.

“If I would’ve qualified 30th today, my lip would be out and I’d have the long face and whatnot,” said Martin of his No. 55 team. “[Winning the pole] is nice. I still revert back to – I have people that believe in me more than I do myself. They don’t doubt.

“…I truly believe that the reason I’m able to defy these odds right now are two huge reasons; [training] is one of them, and the other one is the people that work on my race car. It don’t matter how good you are – if you’ve got a slow car, you don’t look good and you don’t go fast. I have to have people that believe in me, and these guys believe in me.”

Latest Posts
  1. What we’re thankful in the motorsports world, 2014

Nov 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EST

Irwin Tools Night Race Getty Images

What we’re thankful across the wide spectrum of motorsports in 2014.

2. Spend Black Friday doing a few laps on Charlotte Motor Speedway

Nov 26, 2014, 11:01 PM EST

(AP Photo/Terry Renna) AP

If you’re in the Charlotte area and want to have a great Black Friday experience, head on over to Charlotte Motor Speedway, where for a donation, you can drive on the actual racetrack.

3. Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports

Nov 26, 2014, 8:56 PM EST

(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall) AP

Sam Hornish Jr. has a lot to give thanks for this Thanksgiving, most notably a new ride and a new lease on his Sprint Cup driving life with Richard Petty Motorsports.

4. NBCSN presents 14-hour ‘MECUM MARATHON’ on Thanksgiving Day

Nov 26, 2014, 4:40 PM EST

mecum dealmakers

NBCSN will present a 14-hour ‘Mecum Marathon’ starting Thursday, Thanksgiving Day.

5. Simon Pagenaud’s Ayrton Senna tribute helmet to be auctioned off

Nov 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

98th Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Getty Images

Simon Pagenaud’s Indy 500 Senna tribute helmet to be auctioned for Ayrton Senna Foundation.

6. Report of Cole Whitt in for David Ragan at Front Row Racing ‘not true’

Nov 26, 2014, 2:29 PM EST

David Ragan (Todd Warshaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

Front Row Racing officials on Wednesday denied rumors of Cole Whitt replacing David Ragan in the No. 34 Ford for 2015.

7. F1 notes and quotes: Abu Dhabi Test Day 2

Nov 26, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

ADwrap Getty Images

A rundown through the field after the final day of on-track running for F1 2014.

8. Several NASCAR AMERICA specials to run over next month

Nov 26, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

nascar america

Some NASCAR AMERICA specials are on tap before the end of the year.

9. “Dream come true” for Italian Raffaele Marciello in Ferrari test

Nov 26, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

MarcielloAD1 Getty Images

Marciello gracious for opportunity, and was thinking of Jules Bianchi throughout the day.

10. A.J. Foyt still hospitalized but recovering after triple bypass

Nov 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

Foyt112614 AP

A.J. Foyt with post-operative complication, but resolved.

11. Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014

Nov 26, 2014, 11:13 AM EST

WehrleinAD1 Getty Images

New Mercedes driver, same place on the charts to close out 2014 F1 season.

12. Life after Red Bull now beckons for JEV, where a new world awaits

Nov 26, 2014, 10:31 AM EST

Vergne 17-11 AP

What’s next for Jean-Eric Vergne? An analysis of his time in F1, and where to from here.

13. Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit

Nov 26, 2014, 9:28 AM EST

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Practice Getty Images

JEV out, and likely another rookie in at Toro Rosso for 2015.

14. NASCAR: Reddit users provide snapshot of fan reaction to this year’s Chase

Nov 25, 2014, 8:07 PM EST

O'Reilly Auto Parts Challenge Getty Images

A post-season exit survey provides some very interesting fan data on NASCAR’s latest version of its post-season format.

15. Steve Letarte: Greg Ives’ familiarity with Hendrick will help Dale Jr., 88 team prosper (VIDEO)

Nov 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST

Iowa Speedway - Day 1 Getty Images

The outgoing crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. also talks about his successor needing to make his own mark.

16. Delaware court commissioner delays Kurt Busch hearing to Dec. 16

Nov 25, 2014, 5:45 PM EST

Ford EcoBoost 400 Getty Images

The Delaware family court hearing is a separate matter from the ongoing police investigation into allegations of assault against Busch by his ex-girlfriend.

17. NASCAR: Mike Hillman Jr. named crew chief for Brian Scott’s XFINITY program

Nov 25, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Chicagoland Speedway - Day 1 Getty Images

Brian Scott gets a new crew chief for 2015’s XFINITY campaign.

18. WATCH: NASCAR AMERICA Tuesday night at 5 p.m. ET

Nov 25, 2014, 4:44 PM EST

nascar america

It may be Thanksgiving week but NASCAR AMERICA is still on tonight at 5 p.m. ET.

19. Marcus Ericsson makes official Sauber debut in Abu Dhabi test

Nov 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Brazil - Previews Getty Images

The ex-Caterham pilot runs 95 laps in the Sauber C33 at Yas Marina Circuit.

Video from NASCAR America