Mar 3, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
Jules Bianchi came out of his first Formula One test for Marussia feeling positive for the season ahead.
The Frenchman was only announced to be racing for the team on Friday, but he was immediately quick in the MR02 car.
“The past 24 hours have passed by so quickly, having signed for my new team and tested our new car in such a short space of time.
“Today has been pretty busy but we have been very fortunate to have dry weather, warm conditions, a reliable day and plenty of mileage, so in many ways I couldn’t have asked for more on my first day in the MR02.”
Bianchi finished 12th, ahead of closest rivals Caterham, and his pace was on par with that of new teammate Max Chilton. His Formula One aspirations appeared to have been dealt a blow after he missed out on the Force India seat, but Bianchi is now itching to get racing in Melbourne in two weeks time.
“My thanks to the team for a big welcome and for working so hard into the night to create the seat and have everything ready for me today.
“I feel very positive for Australia and the rest of the season.”
Bianchi will get his final run in the Marussia MR02 before the start of the season this morning in Barcelona, with teammate Max Chilton closing the test in the afternoon.
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (10)
- Austin Dillon officially confirmed in RCR’s No. 3 for Sprint Cup (7)
- NASCAR Nation must give Austin Dillon a chance to make his own legacy (7)
- New F1 rules announced Monday create more questions than answers (6)
- Rush receives Golden Globe nominations (5)