Mar 3, 2013, 8:17 AM EDT
Sauber driver Esteban Gutierrez feels comfortable with the challenge posed by the new Pirelli tires, although the Mexican admitted he has more work to do.
“There is a certain tire management thing, the new tire run, where you have to compromise certain sectors to get the third sector right. I think this compromise is one of the things I need to work on.
“To be honest it was not that difficult,” said Gutierrez when asked by the media about getting used to the new tires. “Once you get a good understanding of the tires, there’s a possibility to manage them and I feel very comfortable with that.”
Gutierrez ran for the final time in Barcelona on Saturday, with teammate Nico Hulkenburg closing the test on Sunday. He finished a strong sixth yesterday, ahead of former teammate Sergio Perez and Red Bull’s Mark Webber.
“We had also good laps in the morning, good new tire session, and good race simulation in the afternoon. For me, for my experience was a very positive day.”
Winter testing will have given Gutierrez time to accustom himself with the Sauber C32 as well as the new tires, and he will be hoping to impress on his Grand Prix debut in two weeks time. His only previous Grand Prix experience came in Friday practice for the 2012 Indian Grand Prix, where he finished in a lowly 20th place.
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 1
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 5
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 2
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 47
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0