Mar 3, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
Kyle Busch will have to go to the back of the field for today’s Subway Fresh Fit 500k due to an engine change according to a report from Wendy Venturini on this morning’s edition of SPEED Channel’s “SPEED Center.”
Busch was slated to start fourth in the 312-lap event.
This is the second Toyota Racing Development engine that has been swapped by Joe Gibbs Racing in the last two days at Phoenix International Raceway. Yesterday, Denny Hamlin and his team opted for a new TRD motor and gave up their eighth-place starting position on the grid as a result.
Venturini broke the news of Busch’s team encountering a parts failure inside the engine of the No. 18 car this morning and that they were unable to fix the problem due to time constraints. She also said that Busch’s issues were unrelated to Hamlin’s own on Saturday.
Busch was battling for the lead last Sunday at the Daytona 500 when his engine let go with about 50 laps remaining. That came just two circuits after JGR teammate Matt Kenseth had fallen out of the race while leading due to engine problems on his own car.
The TRD motors have proven to be fast, but lacking in reliability right now. One wonders if this gives Phoenix pole sitter Mark Martin and his Michael Waltrip Racing team some pause going into today’s race; they utilize TRD motors as well.
UPDATE, 2:24 pm ET: Rick Bonnell of The Charlotte Observer reports that valve spring problems were behind the engine issues for both Hamlin and Busch. According to Bonnell, mechanics on Hamlin’s No. 11 car found a part failure that required a replacement of the motor, while human error in re-assembling Busch’s engine caused the No. 18 team to go to a new powerplant.
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 2
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 2
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2