Mar 3, 2013, 12:57 AM EDT
Gayle Busch, the mother of NASCAR’s Kyle and Kurt Busch, was among a group of five people that were injured in a golf cart accident yesterday at Phoenix International Raceway.
According to Cecilia Chan of AZCentral.com, four people were transported to local hospitals as a precautionary measure while Mrs. Busch refused transport. Also in Chan’s report, Avondale Deputy Fire Chief Steve Ellsworth said that the driver of the golf cart was coming down a hill inside PIR’s access tunnel before losing control, which led to the cart flipping.
Kurt Busch tweeted: “Don’t get in any moving vehicle w/ my mom. She was involved in a crash in the tunnel b4 the end of the race. A little banged up.” He later thanked his Twitter followers for “all of the genuine nice thoughts & prayers for my mom.”
NBC affiliate KPNX-TV had the following story on the situation:
Video from NASCAR America
- Kyle Busch roars back to win Truck race at Texas; Matt Crafton gets closer to clinching championship 0
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 1
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0