Mar 3, 2013, 12:57 AM EDT
Gayle Busch, the mother of NASCAR’s Kyle and Kurt Busch, was among a group of five people that were injured in a golf cart accident yesterday at Phoenix International Raceway.
According to Cecilia Chan of AZCentral.com, four people were transported to local hospitals as a precautionary measure while Mrs. Busch refused transport. Also in Chan’s report, Avondale Deputy Fire Chief Steve Ellsworth said that the driver of the golf cart was coming down a hill inside PIR’s access tunnel before losing control, which led to the cart flipping.
Kurt Busch tweeted: “Don’t get in any moving vehicle w/ my mom. She was involved in a crash in the tunnel b4 the end of the race. A little banged up.” He later thanked his Twitter followers for “all of the genuine nice thoughts & prayers for my mom.”
NBC affiliate KPNX-TV had the following story on the situation:
Video from NASCAR America
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 1
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 0
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 0
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 0
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 1
- Brendan Gaughan takes lead with 6 laps to go, wins Nationwide at Kentucky 0