Mar 3, 2013, 12:57 AM EDT
Gayle Busch, the mother of NASCAR’s Kyle and Kurt Busch, was among a group of five people that were injured in a golf cart accident yesterday at Phoenix International Raceway.
According to Cecilia Chan of AZCentral.com, four people were transported to local hospitals as a precautionary measure while Mrs. Busch refused transport. Also in Chan’s report, Avondale Deputy Fire Chief Steve Ellsworth said that the driver of the golf cart was coming down a hill inside PIR’s access tunnel before losing control, which led to the cart flipping.
Kurt Busch tweeted: “Don’t get in any moving vehicle w/ my mom. She was involved in a crash in the tunnel b4 the end of the race. A little banged up.” He later thanked his Twitter followers for “all of the genuine nice thoughts & prayers for my mom.”
NBC affiliate KPNX-TV had the following story on the situation:
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 1
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0
- Simon Pagenaud ‘agonizingly close’ to wins at Mid-Ohio, not to success in 2015 0
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 1