Mar 3, 2013, 12:57 AM EDT
Gayle Busch, the mother of NASCAR’s Kyle and Kurt Busch, was among a group of five people that were injured in a golf cart accident yesterday at Phoenix International Raceway.
According to Cecilia Chan of AZCentral.com, four people were transported to local hospitals as a precautionary measure while Mrs. Busch refused transport. Also in Chan’s report, Avondale Deputy Fire Chief Steve Ellsworth said that the driver of the golf cart was coming down a hill inside PIR’s access tunnel before losing control, which led to the cart flipping.
Kurt Busch tweeted: “Don’t get in any moving vehicle w/ my mom. She was involved in a crash in the tunnel b4 the end of the race. A little banged up.” He later thanked his Twitter followers for “all of the genuine nice thoughts & prayers for my mom.”
NBC affiliate KPNX-TV had the following story on the situation:
Video from NASCAR America
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 2
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2