Mar 3, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
Sergio Perez has set himself the target of winning races during his first Formula One season with McLaren in an interview with the official F1 website.
“When you are racing for McLaren you are expected to win – and this is also my target: to win. Sure, there is the need to prove myself, but it is motivation rather than pressure that keeps me going.
“All the other guys that are in a top team have already proven themselves – this is something that I still have ahead of me.”
In 2012, Perez enjoyed some success with midfield-runners Sauber. He claimed three podiums, and very nearly won the Malaysian Grand Prix ahead of Fernando Alonso, but his form dwindled following the announcement that he had moved to McLaren.
The changeable weather conditions throughout testing have hindered the drivers and teams, but Perez managed to take the positives out of the sessions in Barcelona.
“We have been able to gain a lot of insight into the extreme wet tyres and the inters, so in this respect the tests were very productive!
“Of course, you would have also wanted some nice and warm conditions, but that’s how it goes sometimes. Overall I would say that we still got the maximum out of it.”
Perez finished in eighth place on testing on Saturday, and he will look to better this result when he next steps into the MP4-28 for Friday practice at the Australian Grand Prix.
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 3
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 9
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2