Mar 4, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Leave it to Twitter for one of the more unfiltered takes on NASCAR lately.
Former MLB all-star slugger Jose Canseco chimed in Sunday with a series of tweets about NASCAR’s current product, the first non-restrictor plate race with its new Generation 6 car held at Phoenix International Raceway.
To start, “There should be a commercial free Nascar channel,” he tweeted. In a later tweet, he wrote, “Ads are all over the cars & track we should not have to break from the action for commercials. we are getting ripped off. hope danica is ok.”
“Carl can really backflip why didnt hamlin pass,” he tweeted after Carl Edwards’ win and Hamlin’s near-miss.
Lastly, Canseco offered a suggestion to the series to try and spice things up.
“nascar should allow foreign stock cars like ferraris and lambos crank up the speed and sexiness,” he wrote. “Ford Dodge Chevy and Toyota should take on all auto makers. Make it international and do some foreign races or in canada.world championships. And a few more road races on the schedule would help. we take a lot of heat from nascar haters about the circle thing.”
NASCAR does own a road racing championship, the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup rookie-of-the-year Andy Lally, who competes in Rolex, actually invited Canseco to a race later this year, to which Canseco replied, “hey buddy I would love to join you guys. You and John (Potter) really smoked it in the Porsche yesterday.”
The full slate of tweets is here.
Video from NASCAR America
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 6 – Dale Jr. delivers a year to remember 2
- Merry Christmas from MotorSportsTalk! 2
- Police release report on wreck of brand new $60,000, 707-hp 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat 33
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 7 – Brad Keselowski’s six wins, but falls short of Championship Round 0
- Looking back on motorsports’ 2014 “Festivus” moments 2
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 3
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 10