Mar 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series spring race at Texas Motor Speedway might make headlines for more reasons than just the race itself.
It was announced Monday the April 13 race will be sponsored by the National Rifle Association. This comes only months after the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn. in December.
Michael Waltrip (right) ran a car to support the victims’ relief fund for those affected, the No. 26 Toyota for Swan Racing, at this year’s Daytona 500.
The NRA also supported the Nationwide Series’ race at Atlanta Motor Speedway last year.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 0
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 1
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 1
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0