Mar 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series spring race at Texas Motor Speedway might make headlines for more reasons than just the race itself.
It was announced Monday the April 13 race will be sponsored by the National Rifle Association. This comes only months after the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn. in December.
Michael Waltrip (right) ran a car to support the victims’ relief fund for those affected, the No. 26 Toyota for Swan Racing, at this year’s Daytona 500.
The NRA also supported the Nationwide Series’ race at Atlanta Motor Speedway last year.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Video from NASCAR America
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 1
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 2
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 18
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 3
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett to join NASCAR coverage on NBC, NBCSN 4
- F1: Lotus releases images of its new Mercedes-powered E23 4