Mar 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series spring race at Texas Motor Speedway might make headlines for more reasons than just the race itself.
It was announced Monday the April 13 race will be sponsored by the National Rifle Association. This comes only months after the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn. in December.
Michael Waltrip (right) ran a car to support the victims’ relief fund for those affected, the No. 26 Toyota for Swan Racing, at this year’s Daytona 500.
The NRA also supported the Nationwide Series’ race at Atlanta Motor Speedway last year.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 3
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4