Mar 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series spring race at Texas Motor Speedway might make headlines for more reasons than just the race itself.
It was announced Monday the April 13 race will be sponsored by the National Rifle Association. This comes only months after the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn. in December.
Michael Waltrip (right) ran a car to support the victims’ relief fund for those affected, the No. 26 Toyota for Swan Racing, at this year’s Daytona 500.
The NRA also supported the Nationwide Series’ race at Atlanta Motor Speedway last year.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Video from NASCAR America
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1