Mar 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series spring race at Texas Motor Speedway might make headlines for more reasons than just the race itself.
It was announced Monday the April 13 race will be sponsored by the National Rifle Association. This comes only months after the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn. in December.
Michael Waltrip (right) ran a car to support the victims’ relief fund for those affected, the No. 26 Toyota for Swan Racing, at this year’s Daytona 500.
The NRA also supported the Nationwide Series’ race at Atlanta Motor Speedway last year.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Video from NASCAR America
- Renault’s Taffin: Fuel consumption could well be an issue in Singapore 0
- Tony Stewart awaits District Attorney’s review of Kevin Ward Jr. case 7
- Jeff Gordon makes strong ‘Drive For Five’ start, also has high praise for Kyle Larson in Chase opener 2
- Keselowski surges between Harvick, Larson to win Chase opener at Chicagoland 0
- For 16 Sprint Cup drivers, the time is here: ready, set, Chase 0
- Kyle Busch starts Truck race ticked-off, only to end up in victory lane at Chicagoland 1
- Joey Logano: ‘We’re ready’ to win Sprint Cup championship 1