NRA set to sponsor Sprint Cup race at Texas

Mar 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series spring race at Texas Motor Speedway might make headlines for more reasons than just the race itself.

It was announced Monday the April 13  race will be sponsored by the National Rifle Association. This comes only months after the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn. in December.

Michael Waltrip (right) ran a car to support the victims’ relief fund for those affected, the No. 26 Toyota for Swan Racing, at this year’s Daytona 500.

The NRA also supported the Nationwide Series’ race at Atlanta Motor Speedway last year.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. lewdood - Mar 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I haven’t missed a race since 2000. When I can’t watch them live or in-person, I DVR them. I’ll skip this race. And I won’t be giving Bruton Smith my money at NHIS this year either. Screw him. I don’t know if he’s really hurting for the sponsorship cash or he realized he hadn’t had enough negative publicity lately, but this was just an idiotic move.

And unfortunately it falls into a pattern with the sport that I love and continually find myself having to defend to everyone I know. It amazes me that NASCAR keeps finding ways to kill its legitimacy beyond its traditional southern white fan base.

• Derrick.G - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Good god, shove a tampon in it you wuss.

2. charger383 - Mar 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I like it. I like fast cars, cold beer, BBQ, guns and NASCAR and the NRA.

• Derrick.G - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Amen

3. packerpride03 - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Good job NASCAR

4. winged warrior - Mar 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Kudos to Swan Racing, the #26 Team, Michael Waltrip and NASCAR for honoring the Sandy Hook Elementary School victims and surviving family members with awareness to public donations that can be made through several different options. NASCAR has already been generous with cash donations and matching corporate donations.

I’d further like to extend my thanks to the NRA for standing by our side and fighting for our continued right to bear arms. I’d hate to be forced to defend my family in the event of a home intrusion with just a gravy boat.

• Derrick.G - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Right on target.

5. tnracefan - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I hear Bruton Smith is considering the “men who love boys club” as sponsor at NHIS.

Video from NASCAR America