Mar 5, 2013, 6:30 AM EDT
There are just 22 seats to be had in Formula One this year and three of them have gone to up-and-coming talents who are eager to make names for themselves.
Here’s a quick guide to the five new faces in the F1 field in 2013.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Esteban Gutierrez – Sauber
- Like fellow Mexican Sergio Perez he is backed by Escuderia Telmex which enjoys funding from the world’s richest man, Carlos Slim
- Won two F1 support series in their inaugural years: Formula BMW Europe in 2008 and GP3 in 2010
- Covered 1,720 miles in pre-season testing – more than any other driver
Valtteri Bottas – Williams
- A protégé of fellow Finn and two-times world champion Mika Hakkinen
- Appeared in 15 practice sessions for Williams last year
- Hasn’t started a race since the Macau Formula Three Grand Prix in November 2011
Giedo van der Garde – Caterham
- At 27 years of age he’s the oldest of F1’s new intake for 2013
- F1’s first Dutch driver since Christijan Albers started the 2007 British Grand Prix
- Was team mate to future F1 drivers Sebastian Vettel, Paul di Resta and Kamui Kobayashi at the ASM team in the 2006 F3 Euro Series
- Won the 2008 Formula Renault 3.5 championship, then spent four years in top F1 feeder series GP2
Max Chilton – Marussia
- Started his single-seater career at such a young age he required a special dispensation to compete in the British Formula Three championship
- Hasn’t won a championship in any of the junior categories he raced in
- Ended last year’s GP2 championship strongly with victory at Singapore lifting him to fourth overall
Jules Bianchi (pictured) – Marussia
- Has been a Ferrari Development Driver since 2009 and has extensive experience in their cars
- Drove in nine practice sessions for Force India last year
- Narrowly missed out on winning the 2012 Formula Renault 3.5 championship following a controversial collision with title rival Robin Frijns
- Was passed over for the Force India race seat but landed the Marussia drive vacated by Luiz Razia
Jul 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
A lively GP2 race sees Sirotkin claim his first win in the series ahead of Rossi and championship leader Stoffel Vandoorne.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Dutchman admits to NBCSN that he thought he would easily make it through to Q3 in British GP qualifying.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Massa will start tomorrow’s British Grand Prix from third place on the grid ahead of Williams teammate Valtteri Bottas.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:47 AM EDT
Hamilton thanks fans for support as over 100,000 come out for qualifying on Saturday at Silverstone.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Hamilton edges out Rosberg for top spot in Q3 on Saturday at Silverstone.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Can Lewis Hamilton storm to his eighth pole position of the 2015 Formula 1 season on Saturday at Silverstone?
Jul 4, 2015, 6:02 AM EDT
British driver back on top at Silverstone as Rosberg suffers another gearbox problem.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:45 AM EDT
Rosberg looks to make it a clean sweep of practice sessions on Saturday morning.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Sirotkin claims his first pole in the GP2 Series on Friday ahead of Stoffel Vandoorne and Richie Stanaway.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Foust seeks another win, Speed looks for bounce back from tough Daytona at MCAS.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
The street and road course specialist gets his first taste of an oval in Iowa this week.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Wolff finishes eight-tenths of a second behind regular Williams driver Felipe Massa in FP1 on Friday.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
British driver switches back to the old setting on his Mercedes after struggling in the past four races.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Raikkonen hits back at questions about his motivation as rumors of a possible driver change at Ferrari begin to circulate.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Rosberg’s car was covered over following a stoppage in FP1.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:32 AM EDT
Two red flags interrupt running in FP2, but it is Nico Rosberg who leads the way once again.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
Can Nico Rosberg top the timesheets once again in second practice at Silverstone?
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 1
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0
- NHRA: New president Peter Clifford full of ideas to get drag racing back on-track 9
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 1