Mar 5, 2013, 6:30 AM EDT
There are just 22 seats to be had in Formula One this year and three of them have gone to up-and-coming talents who are eager to make names for themselves.
Here’s a quick guide to the five new faces in the F1 field in 2013.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Esteban Gutierrez – Sauber
- Like fellow Mexican Sergio Perez he is backed by Escuderia Telmex which enjoys funding from the world’s richest man, Carlos Slim
- Won two F1 support series in their inaugural years: Formula BMW Europe in 2008 and GP3 in 2010
- Covered 1,720 miles in pre-season testing – more than any other driver
Valtteri Bottas – Williams
- A protégé of fellow Finn and two-times world champion Mika Hakkinen
- Appeared in 15 practice sessions for Williams last year
- Hasn’t started a race since the Macau Formula Three Grand Prix in November 2011
Giedo van der Garde – Caterham
- At 27 years of age he’s the oldest of F1′s new intake for 2013
- F1′s first Dutch driver since Christijan Albers started the 2007 British Grand Prix
- Was team mate to future F1 drivers Sebastian Vettel, Paul di Resta and Kamui Kobayashi at the ASM team in the 2006 F3 Euro Series
- Won the 2008 Formula Renault 3.5 championship, then spent four years in top F1 feeder series GP2
Max Chilton – Marussia
- Started his single-seater career at such a young age he required a special dispensation to compete in the British Formula Three championship
- Hasn’t won a championship in any of the junior categories he raced in
- Ended last year’s GP2 championship strongly with victory at Singapore lifting him to fourth overall
Jules Bianchi (pictured) – Marussia
- Has been a Ferrari Development Driver since 2009 and has extensive experience in their cars
- Drove in nine practice sessions for Force India last year
- Narrowly missed out on winning the 2012 Formula Renault 3.5 championship following a controversial collision with title rival Robin Frijns
- Was passed over for the Force India race seat but landed the Marussia drive vacated by Luiz Razia
Jul 23, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
At the end of the first segment of Wednesday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series MudSummer Classic at Eldora Speedway, it’s Darrell Wallace Jr. in the lead.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
Thanks to a statistical quirk, Kurt Busch is ranked in the same place in the points standings in both the Sprint Cup Series and Verizon IndyCar Series.
Jul 23, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America, Aric Almirola and Sam Hornish Jr. discussed some of the biggest wins of their careers and talk about the importance of the Brickyard 400 on the NASCAR calendar.
Jul 23, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR AMERICA, 2014 Coke Zero 400 winner Aric Almirola took a look at the Chase for the Sprint Cup grid and also evaluated Richard Petty Motorsports’ performance through the first 19 races of the 2014 season.
Jul 23, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR AMERICA, Aric Almirola and Sam Hornish Jr. previewed Sunday’s 21st running of the Brickyard 400 at the legendary Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Erik Jones takes first career Truck pole — and does it in first time racing on dirt — for MudSummer Classic at Eldora
Jul 23, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
Before Wednesday, the only dirt Erik Jones ever raced on was back in the tiny rural town he grew up in, little Byron, Mich., population 561. On two feet, too. But that didn’t stop Jones from winning the pole for tonight’s MudSummer Classic NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Eldora Speedway.
Jul 23, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Indianapolis Colts WR Reggie Wayne, healthy, rides into training camp as a passenger in a two-seater IndyCar driven by Ed Carpenter.
Jul 23, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
Hey there, NASCAR AMERICA is back! After a brief vacation just like the Sprint Cup drivers enjoyed during the last off-weekend of the 2014 season, we’re back in the studio and at the shops, ready to give you the latest news in the world of NASCAR.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Erik Jones and Ryan Blaney recorded the top speeds in the two practice sessions for Wednesday night’s second annual MudSummer Classic NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event at Eldora Speedway.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Video highlights from the Honda Indy 2 in Toronto on Sunday.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Sage Karam fills in for Memo Rojas at IMS for the TUDOR Championship race this weekend.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
University student gets to interview Joey Logano at New Hampshire, and fortuitous timing before his day ended early due to contact with Morgan Shepherd.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
Eldora Truck race tonight seeks to be as good as the original.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Time has not lessened the significance of winning at Indy for these three NASCAR standouts.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
The Outlaw returns to Indianapolis for the first time since his Indy 500-Coke 600 double back in May.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
The Team Penske pilot is putting up his six-bedroom Miami penthouse for a cool $14 million. Better start saving up…
Jul 22, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Seeking to catch up with their Ford stablemates at Team Penske, Roush Fenway Racing’s trio of Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle, and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. have been searching for speed in a two-day test session at Michigan International Speedway.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
The new, 92-foot pylon is made up of four LED panels capable of video animations that relay race info to fans.
Jul 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Recapping the future stars of IndyCar in action at Toronto this weekend.
- Bubba Wallace leads after first of three segments in MudSummer Classic at Eldora 0
- Kurt Busch 25th in Sprint Cup points — IndyCar, too 0
- Report: Toto Wolff speaks out against F1′s double points finale 5
- IndyCar: Toronto weekend analysis, musings and observations 0
- NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary” 13