Mar 5, 2013, 6:30 AM EDT
There are just 22 seats to be had in Formula One this year and three of them have gone to up-and-coming talents who are eager to make names for themselves.
Here’s a quick guide to the five new faces in the F1 field in 2013.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Esteban Gutierrez – Sauber
- Like fellow Mexican Sergio Perez he is backed by Escuderia Telmex which enjoys funding from the world’s richest man, Carlos Slim
- Won two F1 support series in their inaugural years: Formula BMW Europe in 2008 and GP3 in 2010
- Covered 1,720 miles in pre-season testing – more than any other driver
Valtteri Bottas – Williams
- A protégé of fellow Finn and two-times world champion Mika Hakkinen
- Appeared in 15 practice sessions for Williams last year
- Hasn’t started a race since the Macau Formula Three Grand Prix in November 2011
Giedo van der Garde – Caterham
- At 27 years of age he’s the oldest of F1′s new intake for 2013
- F1′s first Dutch driver since Christijan Albers started the 2007 British Grand Prix
- Was team mate to future F1 drivers Sebastian Vettel, Paul di Resta and Kamui Kobayashi at the ASM team in the 2006 F3 Euro Series
- Won the 2008 Formula Renault 3.5 championship, then spent four years in top F1 feeder series GP2
Max Chilton – Marussia
- Started his single-seater career at such a young age he required a special dispensation to compete in the British Formula Three championship
- Hasn’t won a championship in any of the junior categories he raced in
- Ended last year’s GP2 championship strongly with victory at Singapore lifting him to fourth overall
Jules Bianchi (pictured) – Marussia
- Has been a Ferrari Development Driver since 2009 and has extensive experience in their cars
- Drove in nine practice sessions for Force India last year
- Narrowly missed out on winning the 2012 Formula Renault 3.5 championship following a controversial collision with title rival Robin Frijns
- Was passed over for the Force India race seat but landed the Marussia drive vacated by Luiz Razia
Mar 9, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Bad Brad sweeps the NASCAR weekend in Sin City.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
Kevin Harvick‘s bid for back-to-back wins came to an abrupt end when his No. 4 Stewart Haas Racing Chevrolet suffered a broken left front wheel hub about two-thirds of the way through Sunday’s Kobalt 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. When that happened, it became increasingly difficult for Harvick to turn the wheels in the…
Mar 9, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Richard Petty is going back home to Level Cross, N.C. – the Richard Petty Museum, that is.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
The automotive, motorsports and pro football worlds are mourning the death of William Clay Ford, who passed away Sunday from pneumonia, according to a company statement.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The sports car organization ushered in its latest class last night in Charlotte.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
Leading the field at the halfway point of Sunday’s 267-lap Kobalt 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, last week’s race winner at Phoenix, Kevin Harvick, is looking to make it two wins in a row.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
We all know how difficult it has been over the last six or seven years for teams in all forms of motorsports to obtain sponsorship. While it’s difficult for small teams, it even impacts the biggest of the big, too. NHRA Funny Car legend John Force is in such a predicament. After nearly 30 years with Castrol Oil and more than 15 years with Ford, drag racing’s biggest star ever will be losing both high-profile and high-dollar associations at the end of this season.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
The 18-year-old Nationwide Series driver won last year’s K&N Pro Series East title.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Pre-race crowd at Las Vegas appears to not know they have a Sprint Cup star among them…
Mar 9, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
The Texas-based firm provides processors for the ECUs that run the Sprint Cup cars’ fuel-injection systems.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Former Ferrari and McLaren driver discharged from hospital over the weekend after skiing accident.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Who are Kevin Magnussen, Daniil Kvyat and Marcus Ericsson?
Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Heavy rain forecast for Australian Grand Prix; would be first wet race in almost 18 months.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Australian driver ready to race in front of home crowd for the first time as a Red Bull driver.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Spaniard laments lack of testing ahead of new era for Formula 1.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Finn returns to Ferrari after five years away; hopes to repeat win on debut from 2007.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
In one moment, the former Sprint Cup champ goes from battling for the lead to battling to save his skidding Toyota.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
NASCAR says both issues will be dealt with early next week.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Plus: Dale Jr. is pleased with the work from his JR Motorsports teammates and RCR has more than a few speeding issues.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
“Rowdy,” lapped traffic, and a failing alternator were all unable to keep Bad Brad from taking the win.
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 0
- Kevin Harvick is halfway leader in Sunday’s Kobalt 400 at Las Vegas 0
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 0
- A save and a beauty from Matt Kenseth in Vegas (VIDEO) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)