Mar 6, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
Christian Horner says both Red Bull drivers will continue to receive equal treatment by the team this year.
Sebastian Vettel has won the drivers’ championship for the last three years running but Horner indicated he would not receive any special status as a result:
“I expect them to push each other very hard as they have for the last few years and to do their best for the team,” he said.
“We’ll be giving both of them equal opportunity, they’ve always enjoyed that whilst they’ve raced together.”
Mark Webber is set to reach his landmark 200th race during the season and Horner praised his contribution to the team: “He obviously joined Red Bull Racing fairly early on and has contributed a great deal to the team.
“He’s won nine Grands Prix for us and all of his podiums bar one have come in a Red Bull Racing car. So it’s been great that we’ve been able to provide Mark with a car to demonstrate his talents and it’s been a relationship that’s worked well during his time with us.”
Horner expects challenges from several teams in the upcoming season: “I think there’s going to be some big opponents: Fernando Alonso in the Ferrari, Felipe Massa was fast at the end of last year.
“Jenson Button in the McLaren, Lewis [Hamilton] in his new environment at Mercedes is going to be a factor and, of course, the Lotuses are a dark horse. So it’s not just about our two guys it’s about the competitors they’re racing against as well.”
See more from Horner in the video below:
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1