Mar 6, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Firestone Indy Lights drivers and teams will be busy over the next week or so thanks to two Open Test sessions in the Southeast.
Tomorrow and Friday will see the Lights contingent tackle the famous Sebring (Fla.) International Raceway, and then they’ll join the IZOD IndyCar Series for testing at Barber Motorsports Park (Birmingham, Ala.) next Monday. Nine participants, one of them being a Sam Schmidt Motorsports driver that’s yet to be determined, are expected to take part in the Sebring test.
Amongst that group is top American prospect Zach Veach, who has moved up to Lights this season with Andretti Autosport. Veach and teammate Carlos Munoz were at the top of the charts in January’s FIL Open Test session on the Homestead-Miami Speedway road course, and the 18-year-old Ohioan believes that working with Munoz (who finished fifth in Lights last season) will make him a better racer.
“I’m very fortunate to have such a strong teammate this year like Carlos,” Veach said in a recent INDYCAR teleconference. “He was very successful last year, and he’s really putting a lot of pressure on me this year and definitely making me drive a lot harder.
“Throughout testing here the past couple of times, we’ve been [within] tenths or hundredths of Carlos, so I have a feeling that we’ll be really prepared as we go into the season, and I’ll be pushing really hard to get some wins this year.”
In addition to the Andretti duo of Veach and Munoz, Sam Schmidt Motorsports is expected to bring three drivers to Sebring: The aformentioned “Driver TBD,” Gabby Chaves, and 2012 Pro Mazda champion Jack Hawksworth. Also in for Sebring are two Belardi Auto Racing pilots, Jorge Goncalvez and Peter Dempsey, and Team Moore Racing’s Juan Pablo Garcia and Mikael Grenier.
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 3
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4