Mar 7, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Former Formula One driver David Coulthard has given Lewis Hamilton his support for the coming season, believing that his compatriot can succeed with Mercedes.
Hamilton has received some criticism after leaving McLaren for a team with just one race win since their return to the sport in 2010, but former Red Bull driver Coulthard believes the Mercedes racer will still be competitive.
“Yes, of course he can win. That team has wins in its DNA and won the championship in its Brawn guise.
“It will be the making of him as a man and a racer because you do need different experiences and environments to really develop as an individual. He can reset everything going to Mercedes because he is not Lewis the teenager, happy to be there and desperate to be a F1 driver.”
Coulthard also spoke about Hamilton’s reputation in an interview during the BBC’s 2013 F1 launch, comparing it to when he first entered the sport in 2007.
“He is an existing world champion and goes there as such and will build new relationships. They see the Lewis of today rather than the Lewis as a young kid who should be grateful for the opportunity.”
Hamilton has been quick to write off his chances in 2013, believing it would take a year before both he and teammate Nico Rosberg could compete for race wins. However, following an impressive showing in winter testing, Mercedes are favorites to win the first race in Australia. The unpredictable opening Grand Prix could give many teams a chance of winning, and Coulthard was quick to point this out.
“It is always unpredictable in Melbourne. We do get some mixed results there. But that said, it is not a slow car that wins the race.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 16
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0
- Could Tony Stewart return to race this weekend at Atlanta? 15
- Report: McLaren trying for Vettel or Alonso 8
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2