Mar 7, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Former Formula One driver David Coulthard has given Lewis Hamilton his support for the coming season, believing that his compatriot can succeed with Mercedes.
Hamilton has received some criticism after leaving McLaren for a team with just one race win since their return to the sport in 2010, but former Red Bull driver Coulthard believes the Mercedes racer will still be competitive.
“Yes, of course he can win. That team has wins in its DNA and won the championship in its Brawn guise.
“It will be the making of him as a man and a racer because you do need different experiences and environments to really develop as an individual. He can reset everything going to Mercedes because he is not Lewis the teenager, happy to be there and desperate to be a F1 driver.”
Coulthard also spoke about Hamilton’s reputation in an interview during the BBC’s 2013 F1 launch, comparing it to when he first entered the sport in 2007.
“He is an existing world champion and goes there as such and will build new relationships. They see the Lewis of today rather than the Lewis as a young kid who should be grateful for the opportunity.”
Hamilton has been quick to write off his chances in 2013, believing it would take a year before both he and teammate Nico Rosberg could compete for race wins. However, following an impressive showing in winter testing, Mercedes are favorites to win the first race in Australia. The unpredictable opening Grand Prix could give many teams a chance of winning, and Coulthard was quick to point this out.
“It is always unpredictable in Melbourne. We do get some mixed results there. But that said, it is not a slow car that wins the race.”
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 1
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)