Mar 7, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
He was one of the stand-out performers during the 2012 Formula One season, excelling despite racing for midfield runners Force India, and had it not been for a collision with Lewis Hamilton, he may have claimed his first win at the Brazilian Grand Prix. It is therefore no wonder that Nico Hulkenberg is already being linked with both Ferrari and Red Bull for 2014, but the German driver has insisted he is focusing on his current duties with Sauber.
“I don’t talk about the contents of my contracts and, anyway, I haven’t even done a single race for Sauber yet.”
Hulkenberg did however acknowledge that being linked with two of the top teams was a great honor, but not enough to lure him away.
“I hear the speculation, and it’s even a form of recognition, but the whole thing leaves me completely untouched. It doesn’t mean I will go.
“I am concentrating completely on the coming season and, first of all, Melbourne.”
Hulkenberg shot to fame in many of the feeder championships, such as A1GP and GP2. He was given his F1 break in 2010, racing for Williams and he claimed an unlikely pole position at Interlagos that season. After a year of testing for Force India in 2011, he stepped up to a full time race seat last season before moving to Sauber for 2013. With both Felipe Massa and Mark Webber in the last year of their contracts, Hulkenberg could be subject to a bidding war at some point this season.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 Japanese Grand Prix Preview 0
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24