Mar 7, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
He was one of the stand-out performers during the 2012 Formula One season, excelling despite racing for midfield runners Force India, and had it not been for a collision with Lewis Hamilton, he may have claimed his first win at the Brazilian Grand Prix. It is therefore no wonder that Nico Hulkenberg is already being linked with both Ferrari and Red Bull for 2014, but the German driver has insisted he is focusing on his current duties with Sauber.
“I don’t talk about the contents of my contracts and, anyway, I haven’t even done a single race for Sauber yet.”
Hulkenberg did however acknowledge that being linked with two of the top teams was a great honor, but not enough to lure him away.
“I hear the speculation, and it’s even a form of recognition, but the whole thing leaves me completely untouched. It doesn’t mean I will go.
“I am concentrating completely on the coming season and, first of all, Melbourne.”
Hulkenberg shot to fame in many of the feeder championships, such as A1GP and GP2. He was given his F1 break in 2010, racing for Williams and he claimed an unlikely pole position at Interlagos that season. After a year of testing for Force India in 2011, he stepped up to a full time race seat last season before moving to Sauber for 2013. With both Felipe Massa and Mark Webber in the last year of their contracts, Hulkenberg could be subject to a bidding war at some point this season.
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1