A peek at ‘F1 Countdown': Lewis Hamilton’s big risk

Mar 7, 2013, 9:59 AM EST

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Lewis Hamilton’s move from McLaren to Mercedes was one of the moves of the Formula 1 offseason. And the risk he takes in leaving the team that has supported his entire career in switching to one that has won just one race since Mercedes took over prior to 2010 cannot be understated.

This is a segment from “F1 Countdown,” a preview show to the 2013 Formula 1 season that airs tonight, March 7, at 9 p.m. ET on the NBC Sports Network. (If you miss the 30-minute show, it re-airs every day until March 13 at 3:30 p.m. ET.)

NBC’s booth commentary team of Leigh Diffey, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett anchor the show. Pit reporter Will Buxton also reports from testing in Barcelona.

It’s the first show NBC will bring to you in the 2013 season, which starts with the Australian Grand Prix on March 17.

1. convincedofthehex - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM

The show looks great. The DVR has been set to record it all year!

2. johnrav2 - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I think the last US F1 website went through this as well, but Flash based video’s cannot be viewed on a very large population of mobile devices! :(

Looking forward to the first show tonight, expecting it to be ‘Mega!’

3. speedkch - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Nobody nods better than you, Steve.

4. rafaelsantoni - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I wish the new home of F1 in USA the best of luck. It looks like the guys are dressed up more corporate-looking here. Eventually, NBC might be able to do the program as good as it was on Speed. I am a bit disappointed with the first show, but I am sure it will get better. I sure am excited about the F1 season re-starting.

5. racingmatt - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Missed the show tonight but have set the DVR for a replay. Was glad to find practice, qualifying and the race next weekend on the DVR program guide.

6. britishpound - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Pretty good first show, nice to see all the guys, looks like NBC is serious about F1. I love L.Diffey, but unfortunately he doesn’t have a good broadcaster’s voice – he sounds like a 12 year-old kid. But nothing we can do about that.

The only problem I see with NBC at this time is the stupid ticker at the bottom of the screen. Everyone has all the scores on their phones now, so get rid of this ridiculous thing. If that cannot be done – at least don’t compress the picture vertically – it looks distorted.

• jezza819 - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I agree about the ticker thing. I would rather not have it at the expense of screen size.

I almost prefer a more casual approach to these shows instead of being in suits and ties.

The set did look great along with all the graphics.

If I saw the schedule correctly are they going to carry P1 on the network or is it going to be streaming somewhere like it was on Speed?

Do we know yet what the race recap shows are going to be called? I’m assuming “F1 Countdown” was only going to be used this one time.

7. apexassassin - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I saw the TV schedule for the upcoming season and I must say I’m disappointed. Where’s FP3??? And what’s with all the tape delays??? NBC is supposed to be an improvement over the predecessing broadcaster!

NBC NEEDS TO SHOW ALL SESSIONS LIVE or you will lose viewers to live online services, it’s as simple as that. (and it’s even free if you don’t mind low-def picture quality)

We [the loyal F1 community] have high expectations and even higher hopes and NBC needs to realize the F1 fans in North America are very dedicated and very serious about F1.

I look forward to the season with much anticipation and love the idea of showing the Countdown show everyday until the seaosn begins in Melbourne!!!

Video from NASCAR America