Mar 8, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Nothing seems to stay entire the same for Caterham from year-to-year. It has frequently been the case where its team name, engine, driver(s) or team principal is different from the last Grand Prix of one season to the first of another.
For 2013, Caterham enters its fourth season still seeking its first World Championship point with a host of changes. New team principal Cyril Abiteboul described some of the aspects that are different this year for the Leafield-based operation.
“On the surface it may look like we’re starting 2013 in a similar position to 2012, but inside the team it is very different,” he said. “We have a base in Oxfordshire in which we now control all elements of the design and production in-house.
“The wind tunnel we use has been upgraded to meet our exact specifications and is now producing results that turn into definite improvements. We are continuing to improve the efficiencies and working practices within the team so we can compete both on track and as a viable business with a secure long-term future and we are bringing in talented people at all levels to keep pushing us forwards.”
Ordinarily a lineup of two new drivers with a combined one year of Formula 1 racing experience would be the least experienced on the grid. That’s not the case this year, since fellow fourth year team Marussia has two rookies and Charles Pic, who switches from Marussia to Caterham, has at least one season’s worth of races under his belt.
Pic and Giedo van der Garde have spent the offseason getting integrated into the team. Van der Garde drove in six Friday free practice one sessions for Caterham last year.
“Having spent a lot of time with the team last year nothing was new to me when I moved up to the race driver position, but it’s still a different world, being a race driver rather than a reserve, but I’m enjoying every minute,” he said.
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Hunter-Reay celebrates win in Milwaukee
- Play Video: Highlights: Hunter-Reay wins Milwaukee Mile again
- Play Video: Andretti Autosports dominates
- Play Video: Andretti makes it look easy in Milwaukee
- Play Video: Indy Car Series: Fast forward Texas
- Play Video: A recap of Pagenaud's first career IndyCar victory