Mar 8, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
The FIA has confirmed the creation of a new body, the Drivers’ Commission.
At the meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in Geneva today, the decision was made to set up the body which will represent the rights and interests of drivers in many different disciplines including single seater racing, touring cars and rallying.
The single seater panel includes drivers all with Formula One experience.
Nigel Mansell won the 1992 world championship with Williams, and he is widely regarded as being one of the greatest British drivers to have raced in Formula One. He is also the most recent Briton to drive for Ferrari, where he received the nickname Il leone.
Karun Chandhok spent just one season in Formula One in 2010 with the now-defunct HRT F1 Team. Despite not scoring any points, he instantly became one of the most likable members of the paddock, and Chandhok was a great advocate of his home race, the Indian Grand Prix. Most recently, he has been racing in endurance series.
Maria de Villota tested for Marussia last season, but an accident in a straight line test resulted in the loss of her right eye, ending her career.
Besides the members of the panel, two time world champion Emerson Fittipaldi has been named President of the Drivers’ Commission.
The new body will help drivers in all forms of motorsport to be more vocal, and it will be interesting to see what the Drivers’ Commission achieves over the coming season.
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Hunter-Reay celebrates win in Milwaukee
- Play Video: Highlights: Hunter-Reay wins Milwaukee Mile again
- Play Video: Andretti Autosports dominates
- Play Video: Andretti makes it look easy in Milwaukee
- Play Video: Indy Car Series: Fast forward Texas
- Play Video: A recap of Pagenaud's first career IndyCar victory