Mar 8, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
The FIA has confirmed the creation of a new body, the Drivers’ Commission.
At the meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in Geneva today, the decision was made to set up the body which will represent the rights and interests of drivers in many different disciplines including single seater racing, touring cars and rallying.
The single seater panel includes drivers all with Formula One experience.
Nigel Mansell won the 1992 world championship with Williams, and he is widely regarded as being one of the greatest British drivers to have raced in Formula One. He is also the most recent Briton to drive for Ferrari, where he received the nickname Il leone.
Karun Chandhok spent just one season in Formula One in 2010 with the now-defunct HRT F1 Team. Despite not scoring any points, he instantly became one of the most likable members of the paddock, and Chandhok was a great advocate of his home race, the Indian Grand Prix. Most recently, he has been racing in endurance series.
Maria de Villota tested for Marussia last season, but an accident in a straight line test resulted in the loss of her right eye, ending her career.
Besides the members of the panel, two time world champion Emerson Fittipaldi has been named President of the Drivers’ Commission.
The new body will help drivers in all forms of motorsport to be more vocal, and it will be interesting to see what the Drivers’ Commission achieves over the coming season.
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)