Mar 8, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Sage Karam will make the jump from Star Mazda to the Firestone Indy Lights Series with Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, the team confirmed Friday.
Karam is the third of the top three drivers from Star Mazda, which has been renamed Pro Mazda this year per new ownership, to advance this season. Incidentally, they’ve all signed with the same team.
The Nazareth, Pa. native will drive the No. 8 Comfort Revolution entry. Star Mazda champion Jack Hawksworth and runner-up Gabby Chaves are the other two.
“One of the most exciting things I am looking forward to this year is working with proven and talented teammates in Jack and Gabby,” Karam said. “I feel both of these guys will push my driving to the next level and I believe we will feed off of each other’s progress. Hopefully we’ll all bring something to the table each race weekend.”
The Indy Lights field does not yet have double digit entries. Still, besides SPM, Andretti Autosport and Belardi Auto Racing each have two confirmed cars, Team Moore has one with a likely second coming, and at least a handful of other teams and drivers will show up for the season-opening round at St. Petersburg in two weeks.
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 0
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 3
- 2015 Italian Grand Prix Preview 0
- James Hinchcliffe on the comeback trail for IndyCar driving return 1
- Bottas and Massa to remain with Williams for 2016 1
- Here are your TV times for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix on NBCSN, Live Extra 0