Mar 8, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Sage Karam will make the jump from Star Mazda to the Firestone Indy Lights Series with Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, the team confirmed Friday.
Karam is the third of the top three drivers from Star Mazda, which has been renamed Pro Mazda this year per new ownership, to advance this season. Incidentally, they’ve all signed with the same team.
The Nazareth, Pa. native will drive the No. 8 Comfort Revolution entry. Star Mazda champion Jack Hawksworth and runner-up Gabby Chaves are the other two.
“One of the most exciting things I am looking forward to this year is working with proven and talented teammates in Jack and Gabby,” Karam said. “I feel both of these guys will push my driving to the next level and I believe we will feed off of each other’s progress. Hopefully we’ll all bring something to the table each race weekend.”
The Indy Lights field does not yet have double digit entries. Still, besides SPM, Andretti Autosport and Belardi Auto Racing each have two confirmed cars, Team Moore has one with a likely second coming, and at least a handful of other teams and drivers will show up for the season-opening round at St. Petersburg in two weeks.
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1