Mar 8, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Red Bull Racing’s Sebastian Vettel will be aiming for entrance to a very exclusive club in 2013.
Only three drivers in Formula One history have won at least four World Driving Championships: Michael Schumacher (seven titles), Juan Manuel Fangio (five), and Alain Prost (four). But Vettel, the three-time reigning and defending champion, can make his way into the company of those immortals with one more crown.
And at least one of them, Prost, believes that Vettel, already the youngest triple champ ever in F1, is capable of pulling it off.
“Oh yes — although I hope he doesn’t have a start to the season like he did two years ago when he won four or five races in a row,” Prost said of Vettel’s chances last month in Paris.
At only 25 years old, the German racer has already racked up a career’s worth of accolades and accomplishments, and with the help of the top team in the F1 paddock, he’ll have a good shot of burnishing that legacy this season.
As part of the season preview episode of NBC Sports Network’s “F1 Countdown,” Leigh Diffey, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett took time to talk about Vettel’s quest for a fourth title. If you want to see the full episode on NBCSN, your next chance will be on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET.
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 0
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 2
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)