Mar 8, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Red Bull Racing’s Sebastian Vettel will be aiming for entrance to a very exclusive club in 2013.
Only three drivers in Formula One history have won at least four World Driving Championships: Michael Schumacher (seven titles), Juan Manuel Fangio (five), and Alain Prost (four). But Vettel, the three-time reigning and defending champion, can make his way into the company of those immortals with one more crown.
And at least one of them, Prost, believes that Vettel, already the youngest triple champ ever in F1, is capable of pulling it off.
“Oh yes — although I hope he doesn’t have a start to the season like he did two years ago when he won four or five races in a row,” Prost said of Vettel’s chances last month in Paris.
At only 25 years old, the German racer has already racked up a career’s worth of accolades and accomplishments, and with the help of the top team in the F1 paddock, he’ll have a good shot of burnishing that legacy this season.
As part of the season preview episode of NBC Sports Network’s “F1 Countdown,” Leigh Diffey, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett took time to talk about Vettel’s quest for a fourth title. If you want to see the full episode on NBCSN, your next chance will be on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 1
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 68
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 9
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1