Mar 8, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Red Bull Racing’s Sebastian Vettel will be aiming for entrance to a very exclusive club in 2013.
Only three drivers in Formula One history have won at least four World Driving Championships: Michael Schumacher (seven titles), Juan Manuel Fangio (five), and Alain Prost (four). But Vettel, the three-time reigning and defending champion, can make his way into the company of those immortals with one more crown.
And at least one of them, Prost, believes that Vettel, already the youngest triple champ ever in F1, is capable of pulling it off.
“Oh yes — although I hope he doesn’t have a start to the season like he did two years ago when he won four or five races in a row,” Prost said of Vettel’s chances last month in Paris.
At only 25 years old, the German racer has already racked up a career’s worth of accolades and accomplishments, and with the help of the top team in the F1 paddock, he’ll have a good shot of burnishing that legacy this season.
As part of the season preview episode of NBC Sports Network’s “F1 Countdown,” Leigh Diffey, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett took time to talk about Vettel’s quest for a fourth title. If you want to see the full episode on NBCSN, your next chance will be on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25