Mar 9, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali firmly believes that his team can come roaring out of the gate next weekend in Melbourne — and that they’ll be a force throughout the 2013 season.
“What are the factors that have convinced me that Ferrari has made a step forward?,” Domenicali said to the official Formula One website. “The new business structure, the working methods, the modifications to the equipment that we have used to work on this car, the consistency of the results compared with our targets and what we saw in the recent tests – these all seem to tell us that we are on the right path at last compared to the past.
“So, to make an analysis that is purely centred on ourselves, unless someone else has done an exceptional job, I’m convinced that Ferrari will be in the battle to the end.”
Ferrari dealt with early woes on the F2012 machine last year, but its top driver, Fernando Alonso, still was able to push eventual champ Sebastian Vettel all the way to the finale before losing out on the title by a mere three points. Alonso is feeling every bit as confident about Ferrari’s chances as Domenicali, who hopes to see at least a top-three effort in Australia from either the Spaniard or his other driver, Felipe Massa.
“A podium in Australia would be a good base on which to build the kind of successes we need,” Domenicali said.
In last year’s season opener Down Under, Alonso finished fifth while Massa retired in the second half of the race following an incident with Bruno Senna.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52