Mar 9, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali firmly believes that his team can come roaring out of the gate next weekend in Melbourne — and that they’ll be a force throughout the 2013 season.
“What are the factors that have convinced me that Ferrari has made a step forward?,” Domenicali said to the official Formula One website. “The new business structure, the working methods, the modifications to the equipment that we have used to work on this car, the consistency of the results compared with our targets and what we saw in the recent tests – these all seem to tell us that we are on the right path at last compared to the past.
“So, to make an analysis that is purely centred on ourselves, unless someone else has done an exceptional job, I’m convinced that Ferrari will be in the battle to the end.”
Ferrari dealt with early woes on the F2012 machine last year, but its top driver, Fernando Alonso, still was able to push eventual champ Sebastian Vettel all the way to the finale before losing out on the title by a mere three points. Alonso is feeling every bit as confident about Ferrari’s chances as Domenicali, who hopes to see at least a top-three effort in Australia from either the Spaniard or his other driver, Felipe Massa.
“A podium in Australia would be a good base on which to build the kind of successes we need,” Domenicali said.
In last year’s season opener Down Under, Alonso finished fifth while Massa retired in the second half of the race following an incident with Bruno Senna.
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6