Mar 9, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali firmly believes that his team can come roaring out of the gate next weekend in Melbourne — and that they’ll be a force throughout the 2013 season.
“What are the factors that have convinced me that Ferrari has made a step forward?,” Domenicali said to the official Formula One website. “The new business structure, the working methods, the modifications to the equipment that we have used to work on this car, the consistency of the results compared with our targets and what we saw in the recent tests – these all seem to tell us that we are on the right path at last compared to the past.
“So, to make an analysis that is purely centred on ourselves, unless someone else has done an exceptional job, I’m convinced that Ferrari will be in the battle to the end.”
Ferrari dealt with early woes on the F2012 machine last year, but its top driver, Fernando Alonso, still was able to push eventual champ Sebastian Vettel all the way to the finale before losing out on the title by a mere three points. Alonso is feeling every bit as confident about Ferrari’s chances as Domenicali, who hopes to see at least a top-three effort in Australia from either the Spaniard or his other driver, Felipe Massa.
“A podium in Australia would be a good base on which to build the kind of successes we need,” Domenicali said.
In last year’s season opener Down Under, Alonso finished fifth while Massa retired in the second half of the race following an incident with Bruno Senna.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14