Mar 9, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
NASCAR Nationwide Series points leader Sam Hornish Jr. survived two late restarts and pulled away from Kyle Busch to claim today’s Sam’s Town 300 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway – his first NNS victory since November of 2011.
Hornish had a solid gap on Busch before a Turn 2 spin for Scott Lagasse Jr. brought out the caution flag with 18 laps remaining. The subsequent restart with 13 laps left was short-lived, as Kyle Larson and Joey Gase wrecked coming out of Turn 2 to put the race under yellow again.
With six laps left, the green flag flew once more and after a brief battle, Hornish got by Busch on the outside for what would be the winning pass. The 2006 Indianapolis 500 champion led 114 laps en route to his second career Nationwide win.
“I just enjoyed having a car that was this good,” Hornish said to ESPN in Victory Lane. “The way the car was handling was just perfect, and I could take my time.
“Dreams are made of how cars [run like that]. Kyle put up a heck of a fight and raced me clean, so it was a real fun race.”
NASCAR Nationwide Series – Sam’s Town 300
Top 10 Finishers
1. Sam Hornish Jr., led 114 laps.
2. Kyle Busch, led 13 laps.
3. Brian Vickers, led 27 laps.
4. Trevor Bayne, led 21 laps.
6. Austin Dillon, led one lap.
7. Regan Smith, led four laps.
8. Alex Bowman
9. Brian Scott
10. Travis Pastrana
Video from NASCAR America
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 9
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0