Mar 9, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Carlos Munoz of Andretti Autosport appears to be setting the bar early for the Firestone Indy Lights contingent.
The Colombian racer, who enters his second season in Lights and will also attempt to get a fifth Andretti Autosport machine into the Indianapolis 500, had a great two days of testing at Sebring International Raceway this week. On Thursday, he threw down the fastest lap of the day with a time of 56.1486 seconds, and on Friday, he topped the afternoon session with a lap of 55.821 seconds.
“I don’t see myself as the guy to beat at St. Pete or for the championship,” Munoz told IndyCar.com. “I just want to do my work as best as I can – my work with my engineer, my physical preparation and my mental preparation. If I do that well, the results will come.”
Munoz finished fifth in the Lights standings last season, with victories at Edmonton and in the season-finale at Auto Club Speedway (Fontana, Calif.).
The Lights paddock will now head to Barber Motorsports Park for one more test session on Monday before making final preparations for their March 23 season opener in the streets of St. Petersburg, Florida. NBC Sports Network will broadcast the race on March 24 at 11 a.m. ET before the IZOD IndyCar Series hits the airwaves at Noon ET with live coverage of the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 0
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 4
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2