Mar 9, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Target Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon is looking forward to the “Spring Training” sessions next week at Barber Motorsports Park, but before he straps into the No. 9 Target Honda, he made time to visit with some of IndyCar’s younger fans this week.
On Thursday, Dixon came to Vestavia Hills Elementary School East (Vestavia, Alabama) – not too far away from the 2.3-mile Barber road course near Birmingham – as part of promotions for the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama on April 7 (3 pm ET, NBC Sports Network). About 600 students assembled to greet the 2008 Indianapolis 500 winner and two-time IZOD IndyCar Series champion.
Dixon also made the rounds at local media outlets, and praised the Barber layout for its challenging nature.
“It’s a tough track and very rewarding when you get it right,” Dixon said in a Thursday appearance on Birmingham’s WZNN-FM. “The cool thing about Barber Motorsports Park is that it has everything — you have slow-speed, tight corners, high-speed [corners], elevation. It’s tough to combine that these days. Most modern circuits are flat and they don’t really have any natural elevation.”
The Birmingham News talked with Dixon following his time with the Vestavia Hills East students, which you can see below.
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- Swan Racing restructures, splits up two-car Sprint Cup operation 0
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 2
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 6
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 5
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)