Mar 9, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
Truex, who will start 11th in tomorrow’s Kobalt Tools 400 at LVMS, paced the session ahead of the series’ most recent winner, Carl Edwards (187.007 mph), Las Vegas’ own Kyle Busch (186.845 mph), championship leader Jimmie Johnson (186.528 mph), and one of Truex’s teammates, Mark Martin (185.816 mph).
The starting grid for the race was set primarily by last year’s owner points after steady rains washed away qualifying on Friday, which gave Brad Keselowski and Clint Bowyer the front row. Keselowski was only 21st-quickest in “Happy Hour,” while Bowyer posted the sixth-fastest lap of the session (185.803 mph).
In Saturday’s morning practice, Kasey Kahne (eighth-fastest in the afternoon) was the quickest in his No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, followed by Greg Biffle, Kyle Busch, Kevin Harvick, and Carl Edwards. Kahne starts fourth on Sunday.
The Cup teams will be going into tomorrow at a bit of a deficit on track time. Outside of an extended test-and-tune session on Thursday at LVMS (which saw some teams use different cars than what they’ll use in the race), today’s two practices served as the only time for teams to get everything squared away before their big 400-miler.
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1