Mar 9, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel believes that his new car, the RB9, is “a step up” from its predecessor that took him to a third title last season.
“What is important is that the car is relaible and works well and the speed seems to be there too. We have a little more grip in the fast corners, this was striking right form the outset. I think it’s a step up form the RB8.”
In an interview with in-house publication The Red Bulletin, Vettel also spoke about the new Pirelli tires for 2013, although he did admit that little would be confirmed until the first practice session in Melbourne.
“We had certain expectations [of the tires], also partly based on the data we have been receiving from Pirelli. These expectations appear to be confirmed, but we won’t know until Melbourne.
“I think that the quicker lap times at the tests can be attributed to the new car as well as the Pirelli tires.”
Vettel was also asked about his driving style, as throughout his career he is yet to suffer a major accident.
“You should always have respect. That has never changed.”
Red Bull struggled to perform in winter testing, finishing as the seventh quickest team at the final test in Barcelona. Harking back to last season, the team will know that a slow start could lead to a highly-impressive tail end of the season, but Vettel will still be hoping to take the win in Australia.
- Vettel calls double points idea “absurd” 1
- New F1 rules announced Monday create more questions than answers 3
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 9
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)