Mar 9, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Five rookies will take to the Formula One grid this season: Valtteri Bottas at Williams, Esteban Gutierrez at Sauber, Giedo van der Garde at Caterham, and Max Chilton and Jules Bianchi at Marussia.
However, based on the relative strength of the teams, it would appear (at least early on) that the rookie of the year battle will gravitate around Bottas, the 2011 GP3 champion and Williams’ former test driver, and Gutierrez, who also has been promoted from testing duties with Sauber.
Leigh Diffey, David Hobbs, Steve Matchett and Will Buxton gave their thoughts on F1’s newest crop of drivers during the “F1 Countdown” season preview, which you can see again on NBC Sports Network tomorrow at 12:30 pm ET and again at 10:30 pm ET.
- Juan Pablo Montoya, Will Power go looking for fun, wind up with ‘Sex Tape’ 1
- Brickyard owes Juan Pablo Montoya one, but will it pay off Sunday? 1
- Everyone worried about a Kenseth win — except Matt himself 0
- Hungarian GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 1
- Matt Kenseth fastest in Friday’s Sprint Cup practice at Indy 0