Mar 9, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Five rookies will take to the Formula One grid this season: Valtteri Bottas at Williams, Esteban Gutierrez at Sauber, Giedo van der Garde at Caterham, and Max Chilton and Jules Bianchi at Marussia.
However, based on the relative strength of the teams, it would appear (at least early on) that the rookie of the year battle will gravitate around Bottas, the 2011 GP3 champion and Williams’ former test driver, and Gutierrez, who also has been promoted from testing duties with Sauber.
Leigh Diffey, David Hobbs, Steve Matchett and Will Buxton gave their thoughts on F1’s newest crop of drivers during the “F1 Countdown” season preview, which you can see again on NBC Sports Network tomorrow at 12:30 pm ET and again at 10:30 pm ET.
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 0
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 0
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 1
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0
- Hunter-Reay fastest in final Mid-Ohio warm up despite spinning out 0
- Cole Custer sails to first career ARCA win at Pocono, 9th first-time winner in series in 2015 0