Mar 9, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The 2013 Australian Grand Prix will be Mark Webber’s twelfth visit to his home race, but the Red Bull driver is yet to meet considerable success in Melbourne. On debut in 2002, he scored an unlikely fifth place with backmarkers Minardi; a result Webber failed to better until last year’s race (P4). In 2013, Webber hopes to stand on the podium in front of his home fans for the first time.
“I’ve been on the podiums at most tracks around the world and have won at quite a few circuits and Melbourne is one which I would like to add to that.
“I really enjoy driving at the track, the atmosphere is fantastic. In general the people of Australia love the Grand Prix and are excited to have a world class event there.”
Webber also spoke of his pride for his home event.
“I’m proud when we go there with F1 as an industry and that we put on such a great event. Of course I want to go there and perform well, so I’ll be focusing on myself to get the job done. The champagne will taste a little bit better in Melbourne if I get on the podium there.”
At 36, Webber is the oldest driver on the grid, and with just one year remaining on his Red Bull contract, 2013 could be a make-or-break season. He is yet to prove that he can match and beat illustrious teammate Sebastian Vettel, but if there ever was a time to do so, Webber’s home race would be the perfect backdrop.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)