Mar 10, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
He may only be 33 years old, but Jenson Button is already setting his sights on ending his Formula One career at McLaren, although not in the near future.
“I feel very at home. I feel like I’d like to end my career here. I’m not saying that’s going to happen soon. I don’t see me leaving,” he told The Guardian.
“There’s no reason to. Some people decide to leave this team because they feel there’s another challenge, or something’s missing from their position. For me, there is still so much to achieve.”
Button joined McLaren in 2010 after winning the world championship with Brawn GP the year before, and he has since forged a strong partnership with the team. Following the departure of Lewis Hamilton, Button is now seen as the ‘number one’ driver at McLaren, and this is a role he is relishing.
“I’m really loving my job at the moment and I feel that whatever is thrown at me I should be able to control it.
“This whole winter I’ve been very positive. Obviously there are changes in the team. I like change. I think we all like change. It makes it exciting, a new challenge.”
McLaren’s pace in winter testing was good in places, and Button is keen on adding to his title from 2009 with the team.
“We had the launch, fifty years of McLaren, and to see what the team had achieved in terms of world championships, drivers and constructors is spectacular – and I want to add to that, not just this year, but in the coming years.”
Button is joined by Mexican driver Sergio Perez at McLaren for 2013.
Video from NASCAR America
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 3
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1