Mar 10, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Nico Hulkenberg feels well prepared for the Australian Grand Prix in seven days’ time following a good winter testing period for Sauber.
“In terms of competitiveness, the final Barcelona test showed we are quite well prepared but still have some homework to do, and that we still have room for improvement in certain areas,” he told the official F1 website.
“But I’m confident the baseline is good.”
Hulkenberg left Force India at the end of last season to join Sauber, and with Ferrari and Red Bull rumored to be interested in him for 2014, the German driver will want to impress them from the start of the season. The Albert Park circuit in Melbourne is one of Hulkenberg’s favorites, and he is looking forward to the challenge next Sunday.
“I’m really looking forward to this race, as Australia is always one of my favorite Grands Prix, and Melbourne has a very special atmosphere, so I’m keen to be there. I also like the track which is not a permanent circuit.
“The track itself is very challenging for the drivers. It has got a lot of bumps and you have to know how best to deal with them.”
The opening round will also reveal the pecking order for the season ahead, and Hulkenberg is looking forward to finding out where his rivals stand.
“I’m really looking forward to racing against the usual grid and finally get a clear picture of where everybody stands with regard to performance.”
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)