Mar 10, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Brad Keselowski has started his Sprint Cup title defense with three consecutive top-5 finishes, but the driver of the No. 2 Penske Racing Ford is finding it hard to enjoy his good fortune.
“I want to win,” said Keselowski after finishing third in today’s Kobalt Tools 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. “The last three weeks — really, last two weeks and I’m sure when I get home tonight — I’ll go home and throw around some pillows and punch some things, because we’ve had a shot at winning all three of these races and come up short, whether it’s circumstances, bad luck, or just a little bit of execution.”
“In retrospect, once you get a day to cool off from it, you say, ‘Wow, that’s really good. Three top-fives, that’s how I wanted to start the year.’ But with the way I finished last year, I want to win. I wanted to win all three of these races and I’m not happy unless we can [win].”
Keselowski improved over the second half of the race to get his third-place result, which, while not the victory he craves for, goes nicely with the fourth-place efforts he earned at both Daytona and Phoenix. He’s also now moved ahead of Dale Earnhardt Jr. for second in the Sprint Cup standings, and now sits five points behind leader Jimmie Johnson (who finished sixth in the race) going into next week’s race at Bristol Motor Speedway.
As for what he thought of the Generation-6 cars’ first race on a 1.5-mile oval, Keselowski gave it high marks, particularly on its handling.
“One thing I was really happy about was this car seemed to really respond to driving sideways, which is really good,” he said. “I think it puts a lot of emphasis on the quality of driver you are to control a slide…I think that heightens the ability of talented drivers to run up front.”
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1