Mar 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Felipe Massa believes that Ferrari can be competitive from the beginning of the season in 2013 following a disappointing showing last year.
Ferrari’s 2012 car, the F2012, proved to be challenging for Massa and his teammate Fernando Alonso, and although Alonso was able to win races and get in the running for the championship, Massa did not find his form until the end of 2012. However, the Brazilian driver told Xinhua that the team are in better shape for 2013.
“We feel that the car is good, more stable and easier to drive. It’s hard to say where we are compared to the others but the car has been well-constructed with all areas addressed.
“I think that overall we are going to be more competitive and that we have great potential to be vying for good results from the outset.”
In winter testing, Ferrari finished in a strong second place behind Mercedes in Barcelona, with Massa continuing his good form from the end of last season. Regardless, the Brazilian driver does not read too much into this pace.
“The pre-season is full of tests but they are not always a reflection of results during the season. A team that doesn’t do so well in testing can have a great championship. We have to be prepared. At the end of qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix we will have a better idea.”
Massa enters his eighth season with Ferrari in 2013, and is now the second longest-serving driver for the team behind Michael Schumacher.
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 1
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 2
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2
- Can IndyCar’s next generation take it to the established veterans? 1
- Fernando Alonso talks return in Malaysian GP 3