Mar 10, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
When Mercedes finished quickest at the final pre-season test in Barcelona, the immediate response from the F1 fraternity was “could Lewis Hamilton win the world championship in 2013?” However, the driver who finished on top in Barcelona was in fact Hamilton’s teammate, Nico Rosberg. Could he be poised to involve himself in the championship race?
Since joining Mercedes in 2010, Rosberg has met some success, albeit far less than expected. His highlight came at last year’s Chinese Grand Prix, where he put the car on pole position and coasted to an easy win as the Mercedes W03 was unstoppable in the cold conditions. In Monaco, he managed to finish a strong second behind Mark Webber, and fifth place finishes in Bahrain and Singapore were also impressive.
Rosberg and Hamilton have been great friends ever since they were teammates in go-karts, so the pairing is ideal for Mercedes as there is little chance of controversy. Hamilton may be the star joining the German outfit, yet it is Rosberg who will feel ‘at home’ as he enters his fourth year with the team.
Is Rosberg capable of matching Hamilton in the same car though? His win in China was one of the most comfortable of 2012, and his pace in testing was superb. Hamilton’s time may have been set one day earlier, but the four-tenth gap between the drivers will concern the Briton. Nico has proven himself to be a race winner and a driver with enormous talent. If Mercedes can provide him with the car this year, he could challenge Hamilton for the championship, emulating his father, Keke, who won the title in 1982.
All the talk may be playing up Hamilton’s chances, and the reserved Rosberg will be happy with this. Lurking in the shadows, Nico could quieten the clamor caused by Hamilton’s arrival by winning in Melbourne, relying that Mercedes’ testing pace continues.
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 15