Mar 10, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Formula One is certainly filled with glitz and glamour, but Scuderia Toro Rosso’s Daniel Ricciardo knows another truth about the F1 life: It can be tough to find a pal.
“You try to make friends along the way but it is not easy,” the Australian driver said in a James Phelps-penned piece for today’s Sunday Telegraph (Sydney, Australia).
“The friends you tend to make are drivers because you spend most of your time at a track…But in this business, you are one out a lot of the time. It is hard to make friends because of all the traveling we do and how busy we are. I am never in one place at one time and it is impossible to build a network of friends.”
Ricciardo tells Phelps that he has a good rapport with Infiniti Red Bull driver and fellow Aussie Mark Webber, but that he doesn’t always get along with all of the other racers on the grid. In addition, he constantly checks in with family from Down Under – some of which will see him compete next weekend at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.
The Perth native has been looking to take himself and Toro Rosso farther up the pecking order in 2013, and a good opening round in front of his relatives (and his countrymen) would be a solid first step.
But while he’ll be raring to go for his home event, it sounds like he’s looking forward to post-race even more.
“That is the hardest thing, missing my family and mates,” he also said to the Telegraph. “I don’t get to see them much, but this week a few of them are coming from Perth. But honestly, my only chance to see them will be on Sunday night when it is all over.
“I can’t wait to catch up, because I don’t know when I will see them again.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 3
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1