Mar 10, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Mark Webber has laughed off rumors that he may retire at the end of the season, telling WA Today that “it starts and stops with me.”
“It’s completely obvious that I’m not at the start of my career any more, but I’m also achieving some very good results. While I continue to do that and while I enjoy my work, I’ll continue.
“Whether I was born in 1976 or 1986 is irrelevant.”
The Australian driver has just one year left on his Red Bull contract, and as he continues to be outshone by teammate Sebastian Vettel, many believe he could be dropped by the team at the end of the season. Webber acknowledged Vettel’s immense talent, but he believes that he can match the three-time champion.
“Seb is obviously off the back on an incredible run and he’ll absolutely be a contender for the win. We know that. It’s completely obvious with how well he’s been driving.
“But there’s certainly no reason why I can’t put together a very good weekend as well, which is what we’ve seen with the testing so far. I’ve been very quick and very comparable, so that’s been good.”
Red Bull struggled in winter testing, finishing as the seventh quickest team, but Webber is feeling positive for his home race in one week’s time. It will be important for him to start the season strongly if he is to compete for the championship this year.
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 0
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)