Mar 10, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Mark Webber has laughed off rumors that he may retire at the end of the season, telling WA Today that “it starts and stops with me.”
“It’s completely obvious that I’m not at the start of my career any more, but I’m also achieving some very good results. While I continue to do that and while I enjoy my work, I’ll continue.
“Whether I was born in 1976 or 1986 is irrelevant.”
The Australian driver has just one year left on his Red Bull contract, and as he continues to be outshone by teammate Sebastian Vettel, many believe he could be dropped by the team at the end of the season. Webber acknowledged Vettel’s immense talent, but he believes that he can match the three-time champion.
“Seb is obviously off the back on an incredible run and he’ll absolutely be a contender for the win. We know that. It’s completely obvious with how well he’s been driving.
“But there’s certainly no reason why I can’t put together a very good weekend as well, which is what we’ve seen with the testing so far. I’ve been very quick and very comparable, so that’s been good.”
Red Bull struggled in winter testing, finishing as the seventh quickest team, but Webber is feeling positive for his home race in one week’s time. It will be important for him to start the season strongly if he is to compete for the championship this year.
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)