Full schedule for Formula 1 on NBC Sports

Mar 11, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

The NBC Sports Group will present its most extensive and comprehensive motorsports coverage ever in 2013, with more than 200 programming hours of Formula One races, practices, qualifying, pre- and post-race studio shows, and behind-the-scenes programs. Coverage will air across NBC, NBC Sports Network, and NBC Sports Live Extra, the NBC Sports Group’s live streaming platform, via TV Everywhere. Additionally, two F1 races will air on CNBC, NBCUniversal’s business channel.

Formula One, which makes its NBC Sports Group debut this week on NBC Sports Network with the Rolex Australian Grand Prix, will air four races live on NBC, 13 on NBC Sports Network, and two on CNBC. The famed Monaco Grand Prix will air live on broadcast television at 7:30 a.m. ET on Sunday, May 26 on NBC.

Programming for both open-wheel circuits will include significant shoulder content that is consistent with their unique brands. In addition, NBC Sports Digital will dedicate more motorsports coverage than ever. It will cover the entire racing industry with the recently launched MotorSportsTalk on NBCSports.com, and, later this year, it will live stream the circuit on NBC Sports Live Extra, via TV Everywhere.

The 2013 Formula One World Championship schedule includes all 19 races in 19 countries from March through November, including 13 on NBC Sports Network, four on NBC and two on CNBC.

COMMENTATORS: As previously announced, NBC Sports Group’s F1 booth will feature lead announcer Leigh Diffey, who will call both F1 and the IZOD IndyCar Series this year, veteran analyst and former racecar driver David Hobbs, and analyst Steve Matchett, a former race mechanic for the Benetton F1 team, including two years with seven-time Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher.

Rounding out the team is Will Buxton, an F1 insider and journalist, who will serve as the team’s on-site reporter. Respected by fans and critics alike, Diffey, Hobbs, Matchett and Buxton bring continuity to each telecast, as all four worked together for several years previously on SPEED’s coverage of the circuit.

ON-SITE: It is estimated that Buxton will travel more than 115,000 miles this season while covering all 19 races in 19 countries.

MIMOSAS FROM MONACO: Sunday, May 26 can arguably be called ‘the biggest day in racing’ as it features three of sport’s most famous races from three different circuits — the Monaco Grand Prix (Formula One), the Indy 500 (IndyCar) and the Coca-Cola 600 (NASCAR).

This year, the day will begin with live coverage of the famed Monaco Grand Prix on broadcast television when NBC airs the race at 7:30 a.m. ET. The entire NBC Sports F1 studio team will join Buxton on site to capture the unique glitz-and-glamor atmosphere of the Monaco Grand Prix.

NBC GRANDS PRIX: NBC will provide F1 with unprecedented exposure this year as it airs four races in 2013. In addition to Monaco, races scheduled to air on NBC are the Canadian Grand Prix (Montreal) on Sunday, June 9, the United States Grand Prix (Austin, Texas) on Sunday, November 17, and the final race of the season, the Brazilian Grand Prix on Sunday, Nov 24. The NBC Sports F1 studio team will also be on site for live coverage of the Montreal and Austin races.

Due to scheduling conflicts, CNBC, NBCUniversal’s fully-distributed business channel, will air the Grands Prix from the United Kingdom and Germany.

F1 EXTRA: NBC Sports Network’s post-race show, F1 Extra, will air live after every NBC Sports Network and CNBC race, as well as the Monaco NBC race. Post-race coverage for Canada, USA and Brazil will air on NBC. The 30-minute wrap-up show will be handled by the F1 team of Diffey, Hobbs, Matchett and Buxton.

F1 36: Three-time defending Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel will be the first driver profiled in the first-ever episode of F1 36, airing Friday, March 29 at 7 p.m. ET. F1 36 is the latest in the NBC Sports Group’s original behind-the-scenes 36 series, which gives viewers an all-access pass into the life of world-class athletes. For each episode, cameras will follow a F1 driver for 36 hours, providing a behind-the-scenes look at their on- and off-track activities. The all-access 36 series, which is produced by IMS Productions, also includes NHL 36Fight Night 36, IndyCar 36 and MLS 36.

PRACTICE, QUALIFYING & RE-AIRS: NBC Sports Network will offer extensive coverage of F1 practice and qualifying throughout the season. The network will also offer a re-air of the race, often in the early afternoon, allowing viewers to enjoy coverage during a more traditional sports-viewing time period.

ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX: The first race of the season will air live from Australia on Sunday, March 17 on NBC Sports Network at 1:30 a.m. ET. The race will re-air at 1 p.m. ET. F1 action gets underway Friday, March 15 at 12 a.m. ET with the first practice session.

Following is this week’s coverage schedule for the Rolex Australian Grand Prix on NBC Sports Network:

Date Program Time Network
Friday, March 15 Practice #1 Midnight NBC Sports Network
Friday, March 15 Practice #2 1:30 a.m. NBC Sports Network
Sat., March 16 Qualifying 2 a.m. NBC Sports Network
Sat., March 16 Qualifying Re-Air 1:30 p.m. NBC Sports Network
Sunday, March 17 Australian Grand Prix 1:30 a.m. NBC Sports Network
Sunday, March 17 F1 Extra 4 a.m. NBC Sports Network
Sunday, March 17 Race Re-Air 1 p.m. NBC Sports Network

More practice times for the entire season can be found here.

2013 FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE (Subject to change, all times ET):

Sun., Oct. 13 Japan 1:30 a.m. 1 p.m. NBC Sports Network
Sun., Oct. 27 India 5:00 a.m. 1 p.m. NBC Sports Network
Sun., Nov. 3 Abu Dhabi 7:30 a.m. 6 p.m. NBC Sports Network
Sun., Nov. 17 USA (Austin) 1 p.m. 6 p.m. NBC
Sun., Nov. 24 Brazil 11 a.m. 4:30 p.m. NBC
  1. sennathebest - May 18, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Your coverage is pathetic.
    Transmission not synch with audio (please don’t blame world feed, you have the technology ), put Will Buxton as main commentator and get rid of Leigh!!
    Send the other commentators to do the coverage live as it does make a difference. If. You commit to do this coverage then get serious about it.
    Last coverage was a disaster (Spain). Huge 5 car scrap for top 10 position and you cut to say Maldonado was getting not the pits… And cutting Steve on the action, how ignorant.

2. lflane333 - May 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM

This is the first year since before 2000 that I have lost viewing interest in Formula One due to the messed up schedule of rebroadcast that NBC Sports has employed. NBC is for talk shows and comedies, not global racing organizations.

Broadcast the races LIVE like SPEED did. NBC may deliver F1 to some new viewers that will think it is some sort of Indy car racing (as I hear often from my non motor sport friends). Usually they are flipping the channels during an afternoon of ‘ball sports’. I truly believe the serious fans will not tune in to an abbreviated rebroadcast. Might as well find someone who will stream it live from another country.

Bad move for die hard fans in my opinion, but like any global corporation, F1 is really all about the money.

3. capvid86 - May 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Unbelievable disappointment in the NBC-SN Monaco F1 coverage!!!!
    Local Comcast cable TV guide showed NBC-SN coverage at 10:30am Sunday, which was the same as the listing on the network’s website,
    No mention of a live broadcast prior to the re-air at 10:30am on that network.
    Yes, the race aired live on local NBC affiliate, but my DVR was set for the 10:30 re-air.
    Some idiot decides to show the race live on both networks and the race runs long.
    Same idiot must have decided that 10:30am slot was suitable to re-air a street race that would likely run long in the first place.
    So when my family sits down Sunday night and starts recorded F1 show, we are greeted with finishers on the podium and race is spoiled for everyone.
    Since the re-air race starts late, he recording doesn’t cover the last half of the race.
    So I set DVR to record next re-air at 10:30pm.
    Guess what?
    No F1 race recorded at that time slot, just some other crap on the network until an hour or so in when the Indy 500 Festival Parade show comes on.
    Well at least I captured that, since it wasn’t on (pre-empted by last half of “Senna”) when I tried to record it on Saturday.
    Bottom line is that both Sunday listings for the race on NBC-SN were wrong and my family ended up not even getting to see the last half of the race, even after having the finish spoiled from the very start.
    NBC-SN needs to go back to being an all-soccer network and leave motorsports for a professional (Speed) network to cover.
    Pathetic.

• rosythorn9 - Jul 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM

capvid86, I couldn’t agree more! At least three times I’ve turned on the TV at exactly the time listed in the menu, only to find something else being shown or, worst yet, the END of the race with everyone on the podium! The second race was the worst – I turned it on a couple of minutes before the race was due to start and what did I see running at the bottom of the screen but the results of the race! It made me so mad I didn’t even watch it, so didn’t get to see Vettel ignore team orders and shoot past poor old Webber at the finish line. That made me even more mad and I even sent a scathing email to NBC back then.

For the last race, I carefully tuned in at the exact hour the race was due to start, but there was some weird show on that had nothing to do with F1, so I turned it off. About 15 minutes later, for no reason at all, I turned it back on just in time to see the race starting at 10 minutes to 9! Whoever heard of a race starting at 10 minutes to the hour?

NBC, we KNOW Americans aren’t big F1 fans yet, but that’s no reason to treat the biggest open wheel racing sport in the world as if it were a poor stepchild. If you’re not going to show it with the respect it deserves, and GETS in Europe, give it up and we’ll all go back to watching it on SPEED if we can afford it or online if we can’t. What we WON’T do is give up and watch NASCAR instead, believe me.

4. raycernorriski - May 31, 2013 at 8:47 PM

You, NBC ET AL, are not the worst YET, but the season is young and between not knowing the difference between a parade in indy and a F1 race in Monaco will soon get you there. And with the harassment from world post to the point of getting really P^&)(*& SSED off I am not sure what to expect next but I am totally ready to be disappointed for the rest of the season. This is as bad as when we had to endure several F1 races in the middle of the season with some channels that knew that interrupting the race to tell us about some baseball game !!!! IF I wanted to watch freaken baseball or hockey or tennis or indy cars I WOULD WATCH THEM AND NOT BE TRYING TO ENJOY A FORMULA 1 RACE!!!! I hope you do get it, I reiterate, I watch f1 races, and do not care about all of the other things that you think I may be interested in … I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THEM. Thanks, RnR

5. raycernorriski - May 31, 2013 at 9:11 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOh, NO tell me it is not true…. Belgium race will be broadcast at midnite!!!! 17 hours after the race was run in Belgium … not sure of the times on your tv schedule … Spa Francorchamps is usually one of the very best races of the season and YOU, nbc, and everybody else will be reporting the winner about a krillion times during the day to spoil it for all of us…. someone in nbc just does not like f1 and I can not for the life of me figure out why you would take on this series and than abuse it and the viewers…. I am going to hate you forever if you screw up this f1 season the way you are headed….. rnr

6. abartleson - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:31 PM

What happened to Circuit Gilles Viilenous? Now it’s Automobile Club de l’Île Notre Dame.

7. sithcow - Jun 10, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Awful programming. June 10th, (Today) NBC Sports says they will have the replay of F1 coverage 8:30pm PST to 11pm. Instead, as usual, it’s hours of some hockey documentary. Normally you only overplay it by 45 minutes or so. Tonight as far as I could tell you simply never aired any F1 at all. Absolutely the worst coverage of F1 I’ve ever seen. It’s like you guys are asleep in the control room. Probably because you’re watching hockey.

8. springhater - Jun 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM

This coverage is a decade behind what Speed was doing. Thanks for nothing.

• poolsbybc - Sep 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Speed should contact all the sponsers on nbc and let them know whats going on.
      As for me I’m going to jot down all the sponsers I see and let them know I will not be buying their products they are just wasting their ad money with nbc
      Don’t these idiots realize it’s one of the biggest sports in the world? okay so maybe the bore of France bike race might be important to a few drug laden people, but not me

9. spectre1982 - Jun 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I like just about everything about NBCs coverage except for the most important thing of all, reliable scheduling. For two races in a row now there have been infuriating scheduling gaffes that have caused me to either miss part of the race or find out who won beforehand. For Monaco’s coverage earlier this month the race was initially scheduled to air live on NBC and re-air at 10:30 on NBC-SN. Except you decided to air them live on both channels, so my DVR only caught the podium ceremonies on NBC-SN instead of the whole race. When I sat down to watch it, I instantly saw the end result of the race and the whole thing was spoiled for me.
    Now this morning I sit down to watch the re-air of the British Grand Prix on NBC-SN (because my DVR apparently had no schedule information on the live showing) and instead there is only live coverage of the Tour de Farce. To make matters worse, a sports desk “update” was given on the winner of the British Grand Prix, and before I could reach the remote to change the channel yet another race result was ruined before I’ve had the chance to watch. You guys need to get your act together and stick to your scheduling.

• contests2221 - Jul 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM

The EXACT same thing happened to me. I missed two races because of this.

Does anyone from NBS Sports actually read these comments?

• contests2221 - Jul 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I just noticed that this week’s live CNBC broadcast appears on the Charter CATV on-screen guide.

10. poolsbybc - Sep 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I am also getting sick of NBC’s screw ups Oh yea we are all stupid or so they think.
    They can show a race at 2:00 pm and say it’s live because we don’t know about the time differance
    I would also like to watch Qualifiying once in a while IF I CAN FIND IT. Does anyone know if they are even broadcasting Monza’s qualy?

11. namoosedog - Sep 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM

NBCS not showing qualifying for Singapore GP until 1AM EST Sunday then the race coverage begins @ 7:30 (actually real time, for a change)

As if I am going to stay up all night for the qualifying or even better, record it and watch it after the race…

CNBC is showing infomercials all Saturday morning. Guess that’s more important.

Idiots.

And they wonder why people download feeds from other countries.

12. alonzofanatic - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM

NBCSN, not showing F1 qualy live, is pissing me off. Like a lot of hardcore F1 fans, I plan my weekend around FP/Q/GP. So when singapore qualy is not live, i have to turn off all electronic forms of comunication. If i dont, i get all my freinds checking online then texting or emailing the starting grid before i can watch. I can get over practice being late, but this is STUPID. 9 hours of soccer on sat, and they can’t toss a 2hr qualy in there!!! Now ill be up at 5:30 on sunday, GREAT!!!!!!! They need to step it up!!

13. lectric1e - Sep 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM

The NBCSN coverage of F1, particularly the on-air scheduling, has been an insult to the sport. I, for one, would rather watch “Live Timing” on my IPad or computer than a tape delay. Sponsors of NBCSN F1 coverage will be hearing this from me.

14. PZ - Sep 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Just to add my 2¢ on the matter. The overall product is fine…but it’s been a pain in the ass all season to see all the programing. Tape delayed broadcast of qualifying is just unacceptable. For all it’s faults, you could always find live broadcasts of everything without difficulty when SPEED had the rights. I hope there’s some serious thought given to scheduling this winter so we don’t have these problems next year. Do you think you can find slots for all 22 races (and qualifying) with all your other programming getting in the way of F1?

Video from NASCAR America

Who has the best chance in Texas?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches