Mar 13, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Mike Conway had his first and only day of running this week at Barber Motorsports Park on Tuesday with Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. The Englishman is confirmed in a third car for the team at Long Beach, a place where he won his only IndyCar Series race in 2011.
Conway, who a year ago made the Firestone Fast Six at Barber with A.J. Foyt Racing, clocked in fourth quickest of 26 drivers on the day at 1:08.1584.
“Today was about getting comfortable in a car, working with the guys and seeing how they work and getting myself dialed in for Long Beach,” Conway said. “I think we got through a lot of stuff, and hopefully helped the guys out for tomorrow. James (Jakes) will be in the car and hopefully he’ll like some of the things we got through today and be quick out of the box.”
The aforementioned Jakes has been confirmed to the full season in RLL’s second car, the No. 16 Acorn Stairlifts Dallara-Honda, and will test on Wednesday. Jakes’ engineer for the season is Eddie Jones, formerly of KV Racing Technology last year and Conway’s with Andretti Autosport in 2011.
- Walker: Getting fans “re-ignited” is IndyCar’s biggest challenge (46)
- What’s it cost to compete in Formula One? An IndyCar comparison (21)
- Danica’s in the NASCAR Hall of Fame – sort of (11)
- Ed Carpenter wins pole for the 97th Indianapolis 500 (11)
- Monaco Grand Prix combines glamour, glory and risk (VIDEO) (10)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights