Mar 13, 2013, 9:09 AM EST
Force India owner Vijay Mallya says his team can match their best-ever championship result of sixth this year.
The team slipped from sixth to seventh in the constructors’ table last year. Following protracted discussions in the off-season they rehired Adrian Sutil to take the place alongside Paul di Resta that was left vacant by Nico Hulkenberg’s departure.
“Adrian and Paul make up the driver pairing that brought us to our best-ever championship result in 2011 and there is no reason why we can’t have a similar result this year,” said Mallya.
“Adrian is very quick and has a great history with the team,” Mallya added. “He has been with us from the very start and is truly part of the family.”
“Everyone was impressed by his performance during winter testing in Barcelona: he was able to deliver great pace right away.”
“Paul has matured into a very good driver and in his third season with us we are confident he will deliver the results his talent warrants. He has gelled with the team perfectly and following a strong winter he is well prepared for a great season.”
Sutil’s last F1 appearance came in the Brazilian Grand Prix at the end of the 2011 season. He finished sixth to secure ninth place in the drivers’ championship, 15 points ahead of then-rookie team mate Di Resta.
How the pair will compare in their second season together, with Di Resta acquiring an extra year of experience while Sutil has been on the sidelines, should be a fascinating storyline in this year’s championship.
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 1