Mar 13, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner says Mark Webber will remain their driver as long as he “delivers” for the team.
Webber enters his 12th season as an F1 driver this year with his Red Bull contact up for renewal. It’s a familiar situation for him as he has had several one-year extensions on his deal in recent seasons.
“The last three years have apparently been Mark’s last year, and yet he has been retained by the team because of what he is doing in the car,” said Horner.
“There are an awful lot of drivers who would like to be sat in a Red Bull car, but he’s there on merit, and whilst he delivers for the team he will have that place.”
Together with Sebastian Vettel, who joined the team in 2009, Webber and Vettel are the longest-running driver partnership in F1 today:
“We’re very happy with Mark going into what will be his seventh year with the team, the fifth consecutive year he will have been paired with Sebastian,” said Horner.
“Mark has demonstrated that on his day he can be unbeatable, and he does just need to string a campaign together…he’s improved as he’s matured. Last year he drove very well. If we didn’t think he could still do it then we wouldn’t have taken him for another year with the team.”
Red Bull’s junior drivers Jean-Eric Vergne and Daniel Ricciardo, both at Toro Rosso, are among those vying for a chance to drive next year’s RB10. Webber’s contract extension last year came in the wake of his second race win of the year at the British Grand Prix in July.
- NASCAR Hall’s Class of 2014 announced 0
- Indy pole sitter Carpenter hosts NHRA champion Brown 0
- 49ers coach – and IndyCar team co-owner – Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car 0
- What’s it cost to compete in Formula One? An IndyCar comparison 16
- Then as now, brushing the barriers is key to being quick in Monaco 0
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games