Mar 14, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Since it’s been seven years since AJ Allmendinger was last in an open-wheel cockpit, you could forgive him if he’s a bit rusty. Still, Allmendinger did well to end his two-day test at Barber Motorsports Park with Team Penske just slightly over one second behind erstwhile dominant teammate Will Power.
Power led all four sessions held, while Allmendinger clocked in in mid-pack. He praised the competitive nature of this year’s field in a handful of tweets after the day’s work.
“Two days of testing done with. Solid days but def have a lot of work ahead. Loving the challenge and ready to work my ass off to get better,” he tweeted. “Can’t say enough how much talent and depth the @IndyCar series field has. Love it. Everyone needs to watch this year. Will be great racing.”
Allmendinger heads back to NASCAR this weekend, for his second Sprint Cup Series start this year aboard Phoenix Racing’s No. 51 GUY Roofing Chevrolet.
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (10)
- Austin Dillon officially confirmed in RCR’s No. 3 for Sprint Cup (7)
- NASCAR Nation must give Austin Dillon a chance to make his own legacy (7)
- New F1 rules announced Monday create more questions than answers (6)
- Rush receives Golden Globe nominations (5)