Mar 14, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Since it’s been seven years since AJ Allmendinger was last in an open-wheel cockpit, you could forgive him if he’s a bit rusty. Still, Allmendinger did well to end his two-day test at Barber Motorsports Park with Team Penske just slightly over one second behind erstwhile dominant teammate Will Power.
Power led all four sessions held, while Allmendinger clocked in in mid-pack. He praised the competitive nature of this year’s field in a handful of tweets after the day’s work.
“Two days of testing done with. Solid days but def have a lot of work ahead. Loving the challenge and ready to work my ass off to get better,” he tweeted. “Can’t say enough how much talent and depth the @IndyCar series field has. Love it. Everyone needs to watch this year. Will be great racing.”
Allmendinger heads back to NASCAR this weekend, for his second Sprint Cup Series start this year aboard Phoenix Racing’s No. 51 GUY Roofing Chevrolet.
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 0
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 1
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 9
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1