Mar 14, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Since it’s been seven years since AJ Allmendinger was last in an open-wheel cockpit, you could forgive him if he’s a bit rusty. Still, Allmendinger did well to end his two-day test at Barber Motorsports Park with Team Penske just slightly over one second behind erstwhile dominant teammate Will Power.
Power led all four sessions held, while Allmendinger clocked in in mid-pack. He praised the competitive nature of this year’s field in a handful of tweets after the day’s work.
“Two days of testing done with. Solid days but def have a lot of work ahead. Loving the challenge and ready to work my ass off to get better,” he tweeted. “Can’t say enough how much talent and depth the @IndyCar series field has. Love it. Everyone needs to watch this year. Will be great racing.”
Allmendinger heads back to NASCAR this weekend, for his second Sprint Cup Series start this year aboard Phoenix Racing’s No. 51 GUY Roofing Chevrolet.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)