Mar 14, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Following his move to Mercedes for the 2013 Formula One season, Lewis Hamilton has made no secret of his adoration for his new team and particularly the greater freedom he enjoys with the German outfit. However, ex-McLaren teammate Jenson Button has said that he struggles to understand these comments.
“I was very, very surprised to hear that. The freedom I have in this team is phenomenal.
“It’s so not like that. It’s a very open team, free team, and a team that will do anything for you.”
2009 world champion Button admitted that he found the work rate at McLaren startling at first, but he quickly settled in, and he has gone on to win twice in three years at Albert Park with the team.
“In this team, you work, you have to work, and perhaps harder than in other teams. Initially when I came to the team, it was a shock.You learn to understand, to adapt – that is the job.”
On top of his two wins with McLaren in Melbourne, Button also won the race during his championship-winning season with Brawn, making him the most successful active driver at the Grand Prix. Alongside new teammate Sergio Perez, Button will be hoping for a repeat of last year’s race which saw both McLarens lock out the front row and finish on the podium. He will hope that Perez has adapted quickly to the team, and with both drivers renowned for their conservative driving style, the new tires may play in McLaren’s favor.
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- The ingredients are set for Graham Rahal’s big, breakout year 0
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 2
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)