Mar 14, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
#14 Takuma Sato
- Team: A.J. Foyt Racing
- Engine: Honda
- Sponsors: ABC Supply
- 2012: 14th Place, 2 Podiums
2012 WRAP: Sato’s 2012 with Bobby Rahal’s team was a roller coaster. The highs reached remarkable heights but for only short durations; the lows came from three separate last-lap crashes that cost him the result. His last-lap attempt on Franchitti at Indianapolis’s Turn 1 before losing control and crashing was noble and ballsy, if unsuccessful. Additional moments of contact while around Hunter-Reay at Long Beach and Fontana also negated would-be top-fives. He did score two deserved podiums (second at Edmonton, third in Brazil), but it was largely a season spent asking what could have been.
2013 OUTLOOK: Now on the move to A.J. Foyt’s team, Sato has been quick in pre-season testing as he adjusts to his third different team (KV, Rahal) in as many seasons. The knock on Sato has always been his consistency, since his speed isn’t really questioned. Still, that’s an area where he could massively improve this year. With the midfield often separated by only hundredths of a second, Sato started in the top 10 only three times a year ago. Establish chemistry within this squad, and maybe a podium or two will follow, if not his first win.
Video from NASCAR America
- The most memorable moments of IndyCar 2014 (so far) 0
- Mercedes drivers “remain free to race” following meeting today 0
- With nothing to lose, IndyCar title contender Pagenaud charges into Fontana 0
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 29
- Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 21
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0