Mar 14, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
#14 Takuma Sato
- Team: A.J. Foyt Racing
- Engine: Honda
- Sponsors: ABC Supply
- 2012: 14th Place, 2 Podiums
2012 WRAP: Sato’s 2012 with Bobby Rahal’s team was a roller coaster. The highs reached remarkable heights but for only short durations; the lows came from three separate last-lap crashes that cost him the result. His last-lap attempt on Franchitti at Indianapolis’s Turn 1 before losing control and crashing was noble and ballsy, if unsuccessful. Additional moments of contact while around Hunter-Reay at Long Beach and Fontana also negated would-be top-fives. He did score two deserved podiums (second at Edmonton, third in Brazil), but it was largely a season spent asking what could have been.
2013 OUTLOOK: Now on the move to A.J. Foyt’s team, Sato has been quick in pre-season testing as he adjusts to his third different team (KV, Rahal) in as many seasons. The knock on Sato has always been his consistency, since his speed isn’t really questioned. Still, that’s an area where he could massively improve this year. With the midfield often separated by only hundredths of a second, Sato started in the top 10 only three times a year ago. Establish chemistry within this squad, and maybe a podium or two will follow, if not his first win.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kyle Busch roars back to win Truck race at Texas; Matt Crafton gets closer to clinching championship 0
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 1
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0