Mar 14, 2013, 11:37 PM EDT
Sebastian Vettel found himself in a familiar spot to start the Formula One season — in front of the rest of the field. But just barely.
The 2012 champion was 0.078 seconds quicker than Felipe Massa, whose Ferrari teammate Fernando Alonso was third, giving Vettel and Red Bull something to watch later Friday in practice for the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.
Lewis Hamilton, making his first appearance for Mercedes, was fourth fastest.
The second practice session will provide slightly more insight into how Sunday’s race will fare, given that Saturday’s forecast calls for rain, affecting FP3 and qualifying. The race is expected to be dry.
1. Sebastian Vettel, Germany, Red Bull, 16 laps, 1 minute, 27.211 seconds.
2. Felipe Massa, Brazil, Ferrari, 17, 1.27.289.
3. Fernando Alonso, Spain, Ferrari, 16, 1.27.547.
4. Lewis Hamilton, Britain, Mercedes, 18, 1.27.552.
5. Mark Webber, Australia, Red Bull, 18, 1.27.668.
6. Kimi Raikkonen, Finland, Lotus, 17, 1.27.877.
7. Nico Rosberg, Germany, Mercedes, 17, 1.26.013.
8. Adrian Sutil, Germany, Force India, 19, 1.26.426.
9. Jenson Button, Britain, McLaren, 19, 1.26.440.
10. Romain Grosjean, France, Lotus, 15, 1.26.520.
11. Sergio Perez, Mexico, McLaren, 19, 1.26.597.
12. Nico Hulkenberg, Germany, Sauber, 19, 1.26.786.
13. Paul di Resta, Britain, Force India, 18, 1.26.910.
14. Pastor Maldonado, Venezuela, Williams, 20, 1.27.443.
15. Valtteri Bottas, Finland, Williams, 19, 1.29.443.
16. Esteban Gutierrez, Mexico, Sauber, 17, 1.30.203.
17. Jean-Eric Vergne, France, Toro Rosso, 17, 1.30.729.
18. Daniel Ricciardo, Australia, Toro Rosso, 19, 1.30.969.
19. Jules Bianchi, France, Marussia, 24, 1.31.176.
20. Max Chilton, Britain, Marussia, 23, 1.32.176.
21. Charles Pic, France, Caterham, 21, 1.32.274.
22. Giedo van der Garde, Netherlands, Caterham, 18, 1.32.388.
Mar 29, 2015, 2:00 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton will lead the grid away at Sepang on Sunday.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
It was a double dose of Force in Saturday’s final rounds of qualifying for the sixth-annual NHRA 4-Wide Nationals at zMAX Dragway in Concord, N.C.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT
Roundup of the rest of Saturday’s action from St. Petersburg.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
NBC Sports Group’s “Off the Grid” digital series hits Mexico City, set to premiere on March 31.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT
Simona de Silvestro happy to be somewhat disappointed with 11th in IndyCar qualifying at St. Petersburg.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Takuma Sato puts together a successful qualifying effort for A.J. Foyt Enterprises, ending in fifth and best Honda.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
After top-four qualifying sweep, the Team Penske teammates are praising each other rather than trading shots.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
Power on pole as Team Penske goes 1-2-3-4 in St. Petersburg qualifying.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Indy Lights’ new era kicks off at St. Petersburg with a new driver and team on top in the series’ new car.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
More Will Power on top of IndyCar practice at St. Petersburg.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:01 PM EDT
Franck Montagny receives two-year ban from FIA’s Anti-Doping Disciplinary Committee.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Swedish driver reaches both Q2 and Q3 for the first time in his F1 career, and will start tomorrow’s race from ninth place on the grid.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Ricciardo and Kvyat both get inside the top five thanks to the rain in Q3 in Malaysia, but Massa and Bottas struggle.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Monaco’s circuit for the FIA Formula E Championship is revealed.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT
Incident involving Jann Mardenborough’s Nissan GT-R claims the life of one spectator at the Nordschleife.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Dutch youngster scores the best F1 qualifying result for a teenager in 54 years on Saturday in Malaysia.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Spanish driver will make his second debut for McLaren from 18th position on the grid tomorrow.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
British driver explains the challenge of judging your qualifying lap in the wet after securing pole position in Malaysia on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:49 AM EDT
Merhi and Stevens miss the 107% time required to qualify in Malaysia, but are granted dispensation by the FIA stewards.
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 0
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 3
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 2
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 2
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0