Mar 14, 2013, 11:37 PM EDT
Sebastian Vettel found himself in a familiar spot to start the Formula One season — in front of the rest of the field. But just barely.
The 2012 champion was 0.078 seconds quicker than Felipe Massa, whose Ferrari teammate Fernando Alonso was third, giving Vettel and Red Bull something to watch later Friday in practice for the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.
Lewis Hamilton, making his first appearance for Mercedes, was fourth fastest.
The second practice session will provide slightly more insight into how Sunday’s race will fare, given that Saturday’s forecast calls for rain, affecting FP3 and qualifying. The race is expected to be dry.
1. Sebastian Vettel, Germany, Red Bull, 16 laps, 1 minute, 27.211 seconds.
2. Felipe Massa, Brazil, Ferrari, 17, 1.27.289.
3. Fernando Alonso, Spain, Ferrari, 16, 1.27.547.
4. Lewis Hamilton, Britain, Mercedes, 18, 1.27.552.
5. Mark Webber, Australia, Red Bull, 18, 1.27.668.
6. Kimi Raikkonen, Finland, Lotus, 17, 1.27.877.
7. Nico Rosberg, Germany, Mercedes, 17, 1.26.013.
8. Adrian Sutil, Germany, Force India, 19, 1.26.426.
9. Jenson Button, Britain, McLaren, 19, 1.26.440.
10. Romain Grosjean, France, Lotus, 15, 1.26.520.
11. Sergio Perez, Mexico, McLaren, 19, 1.26.597.
12. Nico Hulkenberg, Germany, Sauber, 19, 1.26.786.
13. Paul di Resta, Britain, Force India, 18, 1.26.910.
14. Pastor Maldonado, Venezuela, Williams, 20, 1.27.443.
15. Valtteri Bottas, Finland, Williams, 19, 1.29.443.
16. Esteban Gutierrez, Mexico, Sauber, 17, 1.30.203.
17. Jean-Eric Vergne, France, Toro Rosso, 17, 1.30.729.
18. Daniel Ricciardo, Australia, Toro Rosso, 19, 1.30.969.
19. Jules Bianchi, France, Marussia, 24, 1.31.176.
20. Max Chilton, Britain, Marussia, 23, 1.32.176.
21. Charles Pic, France, Caterham, 21, 1.32.274.
22. Giedo van der Garde, Netherlands, Caterham, 18, 1.32.388.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Kahne to NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan: “We need to build off of this…As a team, we need to be stronger together.”
Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
NASCAR AMERICA’S Kyle Petty and Parker Kligerman believe that the three-time Sprint Cup champion handled himself well throughout a difficult weekend.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Organizers of the Russian Grand Prix appear to be getting behind their countryman as F1’s first visit to Sochi draws closer.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Richie Crampton, Alexis DeJoria, Shane Gray and Eddie Krawiec captured U.S. Nationals wins on Monday.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Coming up today: Highlights from Kasey Kahne’s clutch Atlanta win; assessing Tony Stewart’s comeback; the Chase outlook with one regular season race left; more problems in pits for Kevin Harvick.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Writer’s Note: The following is a recap of this weekend’s TORC: The Off-Road Championship season finale at Crandon, Wisconsin. NBCSN will air the races this Saturday, Sept. 6, at 3:30 p.m. ET. If you don’t want to know who won until then, we suggest you find another post to read here on MotorSportsTalk…
Sep 1, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT
For Clint Bowyer and Kyle Larson, winning on Saturday night will be all that matters if they want a spot in the Chase.
Sep 1, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Ed Carpenter Racing and Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing end as the top single-car teams in 2014, before merging in 2015.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Kasey Kahne saves his season in Atlanta, while Will Power changes his career in Fontana.
Sep 1, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Carlos Munoz takes home the top rookie honors after a successful first full season in the Verizon IndyCar Series.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Honda’s motorsport chief provides an update on the company’s F1 engine progress.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT
IndyCar championship banquet goes off quickly, smoothly with a good bit of humor.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
The result beats her previous high water mark of seventh this past May at Kansas.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:10 AM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. — It was a rough night for a number of drivers in Sunday’s Oral-B USA 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Atlanta, including Kevin Harvick, Clint Bowyer and Marcos Ambrose.
Sep 1, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
Matt Kenseth enters the post-season with a second place result, while Clint Bowyer finds himself outside the Chase Grid going into next Saturday’s regular season finale.
Sep 1, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. – Kasey Kahne’s 17th career Sprint Cup win couldn’t have been any larger.
Aug 31, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. – It was not the comeback that Tony Stewart had hoped for.
Aug 31, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Tony Stewart’s return to competition tonight at Atlanta Motor Speedway has encountered some trouble after a restart run-in with “Rowdy.”
Schumacher (TF), Hagan (FC), Line (PS), Krawiec (PSM) ones to beat in Monday’s NHRA U.S. Nationals finals
Aug 31, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Following Sunday’s final round of qualifying, Tony Schumacher (Top Fuel), Matt Hagan (Funny Car), Jason Line (Pro Stock) and Eddie Krawiec (Pro Stock Motorcycle) will lead their respective classes as No. 1 qualifiers for Monday’s final eliminations of the 60th annual Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals.
Aug 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. — There was no question which driver received the most applause and cheers during driver introductions prior to the start of Sunday night’s Oral-B USA 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3