Mar 14, 2013, 11:37 PM EDT
Sebastian Vettel found himself in a familiar spot to start the Formula One season — in front of the rest of the field. But just barely.
The 2012 champion was 0.078 seconds quicker than Felipe Massa, whose Ferrari teammate Fernando Alonso was third, giving Vettel and Red Bull something to watch later Friday in practice for the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.
Lewis Hamilton, making his first appearance for Mercedes, was fourth fastest.
The second practice session will provide slightly more insight into how Sunday’s race will fare, given that Saturday’s forecast calls for rain, affecting FP3 and qualifying. The race is expected to be dry.
1. Sebastian Vettel, Germany, Red Bull, 16 laps, 1 minute, 27.211 seconds.
2. Felipe Massa, Brazil, Ferrari, 17, 1.27.289.
3. Fernando Alonso, Spain, Ferrari, 16, 1.27.547.
4. Lewis Hamilton, Britain, Mercedes, 18, 1.27.552.
5. Mark Webber, Australia, Red Bull, 18, 1.27.668.
6. Kimi Raikkonen, Finland, Lotus, 17, 1.27.877.
7. Nico Rosberg, Germany, Mercedes, 17, 1.26.013.
8. Adrian Sutil, Germany, Force India, 19, 1.26.426.
9. Jenson Button, Britain, McLaren, 19, 1.26.440.
10. Romain Grosjean, France, Lotus, 15, 1.26.520.
11. Sergio Perez, Mexico, McLaren, 19, 1.26.597.
12. Nico Hulkenberg, Germany, Sauber, 19, 1.26.786.
13. Paul di Resta, Britain, Force India, 18, 1.26.910.
14. Pastor Maldonado, Venezuela, Williams, 20, 1.27.443.
15. Valtteri Bottas, Finland, Williams, 19, 1.29.443.
16. Esteban Gutierrez, Mexico, Sauber, 17, 1.30.203.
17. Jean-Eric Vergne, France, Toro Rosso, 17, 1.30.729.
18. Daniel Ricciardo, Australia, Toro Rosso, 19, 1.30.969.
19. Jules Bianchi, France, Marussia, 24, 1.31.176.
20. Max Chilton, Britain, Marussia, 23, 1.32.176.
21. Charles Pic, France, Caterham, 21, 1.32.274.
22. Giedo van der Garde, Netherlands, Caterham, 18, 1.32.388.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Among the possible options: A new steering damper, a thumb/wrist brace adapted from motocross, and energy-absorbing material for steering wheels.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Jeff Gordon reflects on fifth Brickyard victory; Joe Gibbs Racing starting to peak; the impact of Carl Edwards’ exit from Roush Fenway Racing.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
All the notes and numbers to keep in mind as the Sprint Cup Series makes its second visit to Pocono.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Coming up today: Highlights from Jeff Gordon’s fifth win at Indy; Carl Edwards on his upcoming exit from Roush Fenway Racing; Kasey Kahne’s missed opportunity.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The NASCAR AMERICA crew talks about Gordon’s history of success at Indianapolis and throughout his NASCAR career.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Chase hopefuls target the Glen’s road course event on Aug. 10 as a chance to get into the post-season.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
No one was injured Sunday night when a Joe Gibbs Racing plane clipped a parked Stewart-Haas Racing plane while returning home from the Brickyard 400.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Joey Logano finishes fifth, while Brad Keselowski (12th) and IndyCar’s Juan Pablo Montoya (23rd) falter after starting toward the front of the grid.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
The winners of the last six IndyCar races haven’t had much in the way of results in subsequent races.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
The five-time Brickyard winner discusses his big win and other topics, including whether he’d allow his young daughter to become a NASCAR driver.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Two drivers from the 1995 Indianapolis 500 finish 1-2 in the 2014 Brickyard Grand Prix, while the race features a star turn from somebody born in 1995…
Jul 28, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Both Adrian Sutil, Esteban Gutierrez run top-10 in Hungary, and both fail to get Sauber on the scoreboard.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT
Courtney Force beats father John in final for record-setting NHRA Funny Car win in Sonoma.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Despite the facial expressions of those second and third to Daniel Ricciardo on Sunday, each of the top three would have deserved the Hungarian GP win.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
IndyCars have push-to-pass, but not on ovals. It’s all good, Clint.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
German driver retires for the first time in 2014 after hitting Sergio Perez during the Hungarian Grand Prix.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
The mindset of Carl Edwards and the No. 99 team will be key down the stretch, knowing they’re heading their separate ways at the end of the year.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Finn underlines his belief in the team to turn things around in 2014.
Jul 27, 2014, 7:52 PM EDT
A world of differences make it impossible to weigh Jeff Gordon’s accomplishments at Indy against those of A.J. Foyt, Rick Mears, Al Unser Sr., and Michael Schumacher.