Mar 15, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
Fernando Alonso has admitted that Ferrari have a great deal of work to do in order to challenge pace-setter Sebastian Vettel this weekend.
“I’m not expecting any major surprises here, we already knew we were not the quickest and that was confirmed today. The car responds well, but we know there is still much to do if we want to fight with the very best.”
Alonso finished a strong third in FP1 behind Vettel and teammate Felipe Massa, but Ferrari could not continue this good form in FP2. Double-champion Alonso could only finish sixth, over eight-tenths off Vettel’s time. However, he was still pleased with his efforts during practice.
“Overall, this was a very productive Friday, as we did a lot of laps and got through an important initial analysis of the behavior of the two types of Pirelli tires available for this race.”
Ferrari look to be in the running for a podium this weekend, and although Alonso was satisfied with his pace, he did admit that it may change on Saturday or Sunday should the predicted rain showers arrive in Melbourne.
“Our efforts were helped by particularly favorable weather with sunshine and summery temperatures. However, the weather is expected to change completely from tomorrow, with wind, rain and a significant drop in temperature, which could influence Sunday’s race.”
Despite not matching Red Bull on Friday, Ferrari are in a better position than this time last season as Alonso and Massa struggled with the F2012. Both drivers have revealed their delight with the new car, the F138, and if they can develop the car over the coming weeks, Red Bull may face stiff competition in defending their world championships.
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3