Mar 15, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
Mercedes’ first day of qualifying at the Australian Grand Prix didn’t go off perfectly — Lewis Hamilton in seventh wasn’t what they wanted — but Nico Rosberg posting the third-fastest time during FP2 came as a relief. Especially after Hamilton crashed into a barrier during the final minutes of practice because of splitter damage.
Hamilton was quick to stay positive. From PlanetF1:
“The real thing is that we are competitive. I am massively excited to be up there. To be as competitive as we are today is a real plus,” he said.
“It’s too early to say [if a podium is possible]. Red Bull are quick, the Ferraris are quick, and Lotus are up there. I’m not sure what is happening with the McLarens but I’m sure they will fix it because they are a brilliant team.
“We’re just going to take it one step at a time. But it has been a really positive day. To be that close to the Red Bull is hugely satisfying.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 1
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 5
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2