Mar 15, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
Mercedes’ first day of qualifying at the Australian Grand Prix didn’t go off perfectly — Lewis Hamilton in seventh wasn’t what they wanted — but Nico Rosberg posting the third-fastest time during FP2 came as a relief. Especially after Hamilton crashed into a barrier during the final minutes of practice because of splitter damage.
Hamilton was quick to stay positive. From PlanetF1:
“The real thing is that we are competitive. I am massively excited to be up there. To be as competitive as we are today is a real plus,” he said.
“It’s too early to say [if a podium is possible]. Red Bull are quick, the Ferraris are quick, and Lotus are up there. I’m not sure what is happening with the McLarens but I’m sure they will fix it because they are a brilliant team.
“We’re just going to take it one step at a time. But it has been a really positive day. To be that close to the Red Bull is hugely satisfying.”
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)
- Mark Miles talks about the road ahead for IndyCar (8)