Mar 15, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
Mercedes’ first day of qualifying at the Australian Grand Prix didn’t go off perfectly — Lewis Hamilton in seventh wasn’t what they wanted — but Nico Rosberg posting the third-fastest time during FP2 came as a relief. Especially after Hamilton crashed into a barrier during the final minutes of practice because of splitter damage.
Hamilton was quick to stay positive. From PlanetF1:
“The real thing is that we are competitive. I am massively excited to be up there. To be as competitive as we are today is a real plus,” he said.
“It’s too early to say [if a podium is possible]. Red Bull are quick, the Ferraris are quick, and Lotus are up there. I’m not sure what is happening with the McLarens but I’m sure they will fix it because they are a brilliant team.
“We’re just going to take it one step at a time. But it has been a really positive day. To be that close to the Red Bull is hugely satisfying.”
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1