Mar 15, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
Mercedes’ first day of qualifying at the Australian Grand Prix didn’t go off perfectly — Lewis Hamilton in seventh wasn’t what they wanted — but Nico Rosberg posting the third-fastest time during FP2 came as a relief. Especially after Hamilton crashed into a barrier during the final minutes of practice because of splitter damage.
Hamilton was quick to stay positive. From PlanetF1:
“The real thing is that we are competitive. I am massively excited to be up there. To be as competitive as we are today is a real plus,” he said.
“It’s too early to say [if a podium is possible]. Red Bull are quick, the Ferraris are quick, and Lotus are up there. I’m not sure what is happening with the McLarens but I’m sure they will fix it because they are a brilliant team.
“We’re just going to take it one step at a time. But it has been a really positive day. To be that close to the Red Bull is hugely satisfying.”
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 1
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 10
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 53